Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Profiling a Vertical Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoppel

Civil/Environmental
Sep 4, 2007
US
I recently profiled a concrete paving job that involved profiling through a vertical curve causing an abnormal amount of must and count grinding. I was wondering if there are any specs or regulations or limitations or if you have any useful info on profiling vertical curves. any info will help, thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I need to know a couple of things
1. Did your company design and stake omiting the VC
2. Are you designing new construction and do not have any original construction drawings

I am puzzeled as to why you had an excessive amount of planing if all was built according to plan

we are a small sub contractor, it stipulates in the contract that we are responsible for the concrete paving and grinding and grooving afterward. However, our "in front of paver" crew are required to check grade prior to paving. The entire job was in controversy over the large flucuations in grade. Now get this-when we brought up the fact to the DOT that the grade is going to produce too large of a vertical curve causing poor paving quality along with high profile count; The DOT told us and i quote "well you are going to have the grinder out here aldready, we will just grind it when the time comes". That came from the top dog state inspector responsible for overseeing the entire job. So now we have to front the cost of ignorance, so i am trying to find info on what i can do to prove we should not be responsible

What ever is in the contract documents and project drawings is what you should have used to bid this project. This is what you will be paid for. If the design data is that far off then you should request a change order for the discrepency in pay quantities. Most DOT projects are pretty close so I would verify my data before claiming DOT is at fault.

With the very limited information you provided, it sounds like the problem was in either the design or the staking; not the construction, unless your "in front of paver" crew did not make enough of an argument that something was wrong with the grades. You may not be totally on the hook here.

I recommend you hire an independent professional engineer/surveyor to review the design through the vertical curve and also review the cut sheets (field notes) from the staking crew. I'm suspecting they will find something wrong that shows a design or staking error that should have been caught before construction commenced or while setting up staking notes.

The response from the inspector was interesting, to say the least. If it was a DOT-designed set of plans, one could almost surmise he was trying to deflect the responsibility for the grade problems.

I grew up around infrastructure construction, including roadways, and have designed many miles of subdivision roads with and without curbing. I have never heard the term "must and count grinding". What is that? Does that apply to concrete road travel surfaces on major highways?

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back