Program to open predefined files by click .... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbver98

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
BE
I have directory named like /bda, /bdb, /bdc, ..../bdl
in each directory I have sub-directory /bda100, , /bda1000, /bda2000, /bda3000, .... /bda16000
each directory contains files like bda13200.arf (this is in /bda13000 directory)
I want to have program that have text box and command botton and allowed me to open the file once I tape the filename.
I can use VB6 but I need help to open the exe program and routine to open directories.
any help !
(I can't access to eng-tek)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do what you want by using the ShellExecute command from inside a VB or VC program. As long as the file type is defined on your system and you have the software to open it, this will work. In fact, Windows calls ShellExecute when you double-click a filename.

I use this function to open any document with it's associated exe:
Code:
Public Function OpenDocument(DocumentWithPath As String) As Long
    OpenDocument = Shell("RUNDLL32.EXE URL.DLL,FileProtocolHandler " & DocumentWithPath, vbNormalFocus)
End Function

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

I realize that this is a late post, but you can use the DirList control to navigate to the right directory. Along with a DriveList control and FileList control, you can get right down to the file if you like.

It will save you from having to fat finger in the directory structure, and it returns a string that you can use to populate your text box.

Good luck!

--
pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back