Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming gears in C++ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrenchCAD

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2002
BE
Hi all,

I'm facing a problem with Solidworks. I'm running the 2001 version. I have to make a complete 6 speeds gearbox.

I drew the helical gears but now I'd like to go further and paramater them using some C++ prog.

Since I'm not really used to do that, I'd like to know if some of you can send me some code lines, samples, whatever.

I visited the SolidWorks site and downloaded all I could find.

Thanks for help.

Regards. Cyril 'FrenchCAD'
Université Joseph FOURIER
Département Génie Mécanique
Grenoble
France

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am actually having great dificulty in creating a family of gears myself. I want to use design tables to create the gear and basically just input the pitch diameter, pressure angle, diamteral pitch and number of teeth and have solidworks spit out the gear for me.

I would appreciate any help in actually constructing the gear in solidworks. The involute tooth is not that easy to draw. I know there is software and blocks out there that can generate a gear for me but I want to go through the learning process to ensure I can do it again.

Thanks in advance.

I used geartrax since it came out. It is worth the money to buy it. You pay one fee and that's it. You get all DL from there on out. Last time I checked the price was around $250. Its worth it to buy a program that will save you time and heartache to build yourself. I'm sure there is a program you could build that has not been done yet. I myself have thought of a few, but I have not proceeded with them yet.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@hotmail.com

Excellent suggestion Charley!
I have also used GearTrax and agree that it is well worth the small investment. It will save you time and a lot of headaches trying to do it on you own. BBJT CSWP

Thanks guys.

Will look at this software.

By the way, is there some good soft that may calculate all gears dimensions when you enter basics informations? Or will I have to write (uuuuggg) some C++ whatever program? FrenchCAD
Grenoble
France
cyril.guichard@wanadoo.fr

I wrote something like that in Excel when I used GearTrax. I don't think you will need C++ for that. I think your making things harder for yourself then they need to be.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@hotmail.com

Yup, seems so :p

I should stop being so much complicated... Let's go for some Excel sheets. FrenchCAD
Grenoble
France

Yeah, a nice pack you got there.
I'm d/l the evaluation pack, 30 days trial full options + library. Works for SW98 to SW2001.

Seems like the whole package (CDRom+licence) will cost €30 only. I gonna have a look at what it offers and will tell you if it's worth.

FrenchCAD
Grenoble
France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back