Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oconner512

Automotive
Jun 18, 2006
CA
How long would it take to learn programming and sofware development so i could write a a software as complex as a fringerprint scanner software. I'm interested in computer programming but i don't want to get into it if it takes more than about 6 months and i would be starting from no programming experience at all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the level of understanding of the fundamentals shown in your other questions I would recommend staying in automotive.

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

You've got a project to work on - that's a good start.

It depends on what platform you're targetting and what languages are available on that platform. You might be targetting cars which only support C or Lego which only supports NQC (Not Quite C).

Pick a simple language in common use like C or Javascript. You can ask at the forums in Tek-Tips if you get stuck. There are lots of tutorials about for those languages. Once you're done with the tutorials, start designing your program. Break it down into components then code up each component and test it as if it were one of your tutorials. At the end of the day you'll have a fully working system.

Treat it like a car. Don't know how to build a car - break it down into sections: bodywork, engine etc. Break those down into smaller sections eg engine is piston, fuel injection, spark plugs etc. Then put them together to see if they function as an engine. Then put all the major parts together to see if it functions as a car. There is nothing more than that. It is just how complex the little bits are.

For something similar to FingerPrint recognition, have a look at

Hi Oconner512

It took me 6 months to learn Visual Basic with
Q-basic experience. I enjoyed it and wanted to learn
but it takes devotion and mentor support or schooling
is essential for comprehension of the skill. If it is
not something your looking forward to FORGET IT!

Best wishes, Chuck

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul.
- George Bernard Shaw

The bottom line is that if you're serious about doing it, you would have already started. And your artificial timeline of 6 months is unrealistic.

TTFN

Well i was looking a tutorials that could explain programming in detail and i came across a site called howstuffwork on that site they even take you step by step on how to make a simple program that draws a like across the screen and i did it it was simple i think it was in java so i thought i could learn enough in six months to modify some alorithms of some softwares but from what u guys are sayin i probably wasn't even programming anything

In most computer languages, you can learn to write a "hello, world", or "draw one line" program in a few hours. Doing so is certainly programming.

Writing an application for a fingerprint scanner, whatever that may be, is roughly three orders of magnitude more difficult.

In six months, you could learn enough to understand why your original question is, er, flawed. It will take longer if you first have to learn what an order of magnitude is.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Even if you mean simply a fingerprint "scanner", then 6 months is just about enough time to learn how much time it will take to actually program such a thing (i.e., you MIGHT have a clue how to do it after 6 months of intensive study).

If you mean fingerprint "recognition", then you are WAY out of your league on this one. I've worked on a few fingerprint compressions and recognition programs in years past, and the algorithms alone will make non-programmers / non-mathematically-inclined people shudder.

Buy a mini-PC, pick up a fingerprint scanner for $80 from Staples/Office Max/NewEgg, rip out the innards, and be done with it.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

There is also a difference between writing a program for your own amusement/use, and for work/professionally.

If you want to do it for fun, sure, go ahead and start. I know of a buddy who did pretty much what you are doing, except it wasn's finger prints but objects (circle, square, triangle). It took him less than 6 months to figure everything out. I don't know where he got the scanner and other equipment from, probably some other friends.

If you are doing this for work/professionally, it takes a long long time. I'd suggest unless this is a career decision, hire it out.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back