Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Progressive Collapse - Alternate Path Method in UFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallencn

Structural
Oct 12, 2002
US
Anyone familiar with UFC 4-023-03 (2009), particularly the Alternate Path Method as it applies to Structural Steel framing?

A couple questions:

1. The load combination is listed as (1.2 OR 0.9) * Dead Load. Typically a 0.9 factor is used when you have load acting opposite of dead (wind uplift), but with progressive collapse, its all gravity loads. Still, using a 1.2 factor on such an extreme event seems like too much of a penalty.

2. Do you include the floor diaphragm in the building model? The diaphragm tends to take some in-plane forces while still allowing the frame members to be in flexure. It seems unreasonable to neglect the diaphragm, as the slab will be there in the event of a collapse.

3. Any idea what "Gn" is in Figure 3-13 ?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just checking the code...

Well, respect 1.2 D they just want to be conservative. These installations are manytimes overseas and the verification of the dead weights are not always stricts. I can say you that in Spain there is a customary unconservative weight evaluation of terrazzo floors, well above the 20% excess (but only for that part of the dead weight).

Respect the second I would include anything that is able to restrain the progressive collapse that is not expressly forbidden by the code. Make a seart for the word "diaphragm" in the pdf, will make you clear that the intent of the check wants the diaphragm action retained if available.

3-2.12.4.1 Loads.
GN = Increased gravity loads for Nonlinear Static Analysis

Use always the find tool in pdfs for these questions, use to help.

I understand what the UFC says. What I'm more interested in is what it DOESN'T say. Anyone have any practical real-world experience with this?

Sorry, don't know why it wouldn't appear here.
You may find it by word search on "Alternate Path Method".
Title of the paper "UFC 4-023-03: Design of Buildings to Resist Progressive Collapse", by K. A. Marchand, D. J. Stevens, B. Growder & T. Campbell. It was published on April 2006, Structure Magazine.

1. It's not inconceivable to have a floor layout in which the dead load would cause uplift on a column. In that case, more dead load helps resist the downward movement at the failed column, hence the 0.9 factor.

2. The examples in the UFC have diaphragms modeled as rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back