Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project managment professional certificate (PMP) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
US
Anyone out there gotten one?
Did you get it because you wanted it or your boss did?
Was the training useful?
Have you found the things you learned to get the certificate paid off?
Has the certificate been of any value?
Have you kept it up over the years?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- Yes I recently got my PMP designation
- Something I wanted
- Training was useful in that it gave a lot of tips on what PMI considers important. The other thing that I found useful was the CRAM 2 books with many Q&A on each process group
- Not paid of yet, though acknowledged by mgt as another achievement
- Improves the resume a bit

I haven't gone for my certification yet, but I'm considering it. I don't know how worthwhile it would be, because I haven't run across many with the certification in my industry. I have, however, noticed a couple of jobs on monster.com that specificaly note PMP certification as a plus.

---
Scott Stamey
Project Engineer
CPM Project Management, Inc.

naygoo
If you want it apply this week and take it next month. After that the passing score goes from a 70 to an 84 and they require that you have a project mangment title before applying. There is somethign about this on the PMI page. If you don't ahve hte 35 hours of training you will be SOL in a couple of days.

I passed the test. It was long but easier than the sample tests I'd taken. I don't know what the new one will be like.

I've found that the methodology that PMI uses is useful. Their version of the Quality process is strange but the way they handle risk and uncertainty is very good. They expect you to look at what could go wrong and allow for it. They even leave some room in the schedule for variation. Most of my employers have always expected a schedule that assumed nothing could go wrong and been surprised when it did. PMI also emphasis change control which is often neglected.

Does the CAPM credential require the same Continuing Certification Requirements as the PMP certification? I can't find any mention of CCR with respect to the CAPM on the PMI web site.

According to the CAPM Credential Handbook PDF (bottom of page 8):[q]The CAPM Credential Terms of Use

If a candidate successfully passes the CAPM exam he/she is certified for a period of 5 years. During this time the candidate must adhere to the Project Management Institute’s CAPM Code of Professional Conduct. After the period of 5 years expires, candidates have the option of applying again to take the CAPM exam or they may apply to take the PMP examination if eligible.[/q]

Stacy
Project Management Knowledge Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back