Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project res

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilT74

Electrical
Jan 31, 2003
US
Hi Folks,
Been working with PLC's for some time within various maintenance roles, and I'm hoping you can recommend a good book or other source, which can help take me up a level. I'm interested in learning more along the lines of system design, answering questions like-

Which PLC to use and why?
What size of memory does this project require?

I'm comfortable with the actual PLC programming part of all this, so I'm really looking for something a little more along the lines of project management I guess...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Phil.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Phil,

I am not sure if there are any 'generic' books that cover what you want. But, if you chose to work with Siemens PLC's then I can reccomend the books by Hans Berger. 'automating with step 7 in LAD and FBD' and 'automating with step 7 in STL and SLC'.

Paul

There are 10 types of people in this world....
Those that understand binary and those that don't!

The best way to learn how to manage projects and answer your own questions, is to work for either a machine manufacturer or a systems integrator. There are so many more things that need to be considered. Also there is no substitute for learning in the class room. Try to obtain a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering. It is very difficult to break into this field without at least a bachelors degree, that is if you want to earn a decent salary and quickly climb the corporate ladder. Search job listings on the internet. You will soon discover that most companies want applicants that have a BSEE or BSEET.

best regards, PLCSAVVY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back