Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Project Site Flooding - Responsibility for surface water drainage during construction 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope3

Structural
Dec 24, 2015
US
Consider the following: A sloped 10 acre property that contains a 1 story commercial building. Owner chooses to add a wing onto the building which involves excavating into the hillside and stripping vegetation from the hillside to regrade it.

My question is, who would you expect to be responsible for designing surface water control systems during construction so that the building doesn't flood? And who/what would establish rainfall intensities these controls need to reasonably withstand?

Would this be formally designed by the civil engineer on the project? or would you expect the control system be the responsibility of the GC via a blanket requirement buried in the project specs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Envelope3 said:
That would make more sense to me if there wasn't a separate Sediment and Erosion Control Plan on this project.

By definition, silt fence/hay bales/wattles do not control water. They are all fully water permeable, by design.

I can't explain why the civil engineer apparently put the SWMP in two places, but silt fence is not a floodwater control measure; anyone who saw that drawing and thought it would stop flooding is either inexperienced or inept.

It seems to me that the project owner's site engineer would need to have a designed plan to handle the situation long term after the building is finished. Therefore, that plan should be implemented as much as possible at the start of construction. This would be different than a sedimentation & erosion control plan. As others have said, erosion and sedimentation is not flooding.

said:
But CVG, I don't think a floodwater management plan (or whatever you want to call it) will be developed for a 1 story commercial building? Maybe I am wrong but that's what I've come to see. Yes 10 acres is a moderately sized site but 90% of the land is being untouched. As such, the contractor would be responsible to keep their work space dry.

Contractor will not develop any plan unless it is required by the contract. so if the owner or designer is concerned about protecting the building from flooding (either during construction, or permanently after construction), than put a requirement in the contract drawings and specs to do that. temporary controls are generally designed by the contractors engineer, permanent controls should be designed by the owners engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back