Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Projected View

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimp178

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2001
GB
Hi I have been asked to supply a 3D drawing and machine this part for a customer, using Solid works 2007 & Mastercam for the programming V9.
Problem for me drawing supplied by customer is a rolled out view, as if the tube has been rolled flat, question how do I convert this view into a solidworks part.
I can send Acrobat copy of the projected drawing tried to send to Cadcam FTP site but was not allowed.

Thanks once again JimP Scotland

solidworks 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I often find it easier, quicker and more accurate to re-model the part in SW, especially if it is an AutoCAD drawing.

Is the tube actually rolled or formed from sheet metal?
Does the drawing show the flattened outside surface just for "simplicity" of detailing?

Are the features in the tube very complex shapes?
Can they be machined into an extruded tube?

[cheers]

Thanks for the quick reply I usualy redraw in solidworks problem drawing is a half shell is machined in ID.
2D drawing is as you say flattened all dimensions are in degree's. Part is a cam for industrial knitting machine.

Best Regards Jimp

I'm a bit unsure now of the end shape. Is it a semi-circular tube with a cam slot recessed into the ID?
Can you post an image?
faq559-1100

How is the actual part going to be machined? In the flat or in the half-tube?

If the cam slot is not cut through the material thickness, you will not be able to use the Sheet Metal module without "cheating" with configs. SW Sheet Metal parts cannot handle plastic deformation of the material, and need to be kept one thickness throughout all feature elements.

[cheers]

I would question the effectiveness of attempting to model this in SolidWorks. Unless I misunderstand, you have half of an inside-out barrel cam. Barrel cams have been discussed several times here in this forum, but a summary is that the actual geometry you're looking for is quite complex, requiring the use of a swept solid, which SolidWorks can't do. However, the good news is that a cutting tool actually acts as a swept solid when you machine the part. The slot should be cut using a tool that is the size of the slot. The path of the tool is just the center of the slot. The complex geometry of the sides of the groove will be automatically generated by the cutting tool.

Eeeew. ;)
I glad I'm not a checker for this dwg.
Some features are not clear. I don't know where the bends are. I would draw a side profile then extrude base-flange.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

Hi Thanks for all you help is it possible to draw and extrude the flattened plate then turn it in to the half shell by bending?

JimP

Is it possible? Yes. Will you get the actual shape you want, the true cam profile? Not likely. And if you can get Mastercam to accurately reproduce the shape of the model I'm guessing that the part won't work.

As mentioned earlier, SW sheet metal parts have to remain a constant thickness. So if you cut the cam track only partially through the part, you will not be able to use the Sheet Metal functions to create the bend. You would need to create two configs; one with the cam track shown in the flattened state and one with the cam track suppressed in the curved state.

But as handleman stated, you will not get a true cam profile if you use that method on the actual metal part. The material is fairly thick and track edges will close in when it is formed. The track needs to be cut into the curved part ... or allowance needs to be made for the closing-in.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back