Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Projects with continuous MEG injection for Hydrate inhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2005
AU
Hi All,

Not quite sure whether this is the right place to pose this question ... but here goes anyway.

I'm looking for a fairly comprehensive list of large projects which have used (or intend to use) continuous MEG injection as the primary hydrate prevention strategy.

So far I have come up with the following:

Asgard in Norway
Snohvit in Norway
Orman Lange in Norway
Troll in Norway
Gjoa in Norway
KGD6 Reliance in India
Browse in Australia
Ichthys in Australia

I am sure there are others, but I am yet to find a comprehensive list?

Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I asked here because formation and inhibition of Hydrates is a thermodynamic issue, and hydrates (and MEG inhibition thereof) have been discussed here previously.

The Petroleum section of this website is primarily focussed on downstream production where hydrate inhibition is typically not as big an issue.

Im not sure why that is relevant, but I guess there is no harm in explaining why if it helps people come up with examples!

I'm asking because I am currently involved in developing what will probably be the most extensive and complicated continuous MEG injection systems ever built. Therefore I am trying to build up a knowledge base of what has been done before and lessons learnt.

I am sure there are others that I am not aware of. By compiling the list I hope to research those to assist me in the development of my current project. :)

:)

Our sister company, who I occasionally do work for, supplies equipment for what you describe, and I'm familiar with a few of the names on your list...but I don't know what is confidential to us/our customers, and so won't give you any answers (not sure I'd give you much helpful info. anyway).

Total in Indonesia used I believe MEG for their Petceko (spelling?) project. There's a oil processing plant in North Alberta near high level if I remember correctly also used MEG for dehydrating the gas during NGL recovery stage.

Sorry, that's all I know.

"used MEG for dehydrating the gas during NGL recovery stage." are you sure it wasnt TEG (Tri-Ethylene-Glycol)? ... MEG is not normally used for dehydration.

No, wasn't TEG. The MEG was sprayed on the inlet tube sheet to the gas chiller and they had a 3 phase separator for the gas, rich glycol and hydrocarbon.

If anyone is familar with the Rainbow Lake oil plant (my first summer engineering job, too many years ago) maybe they can confirm/correct what I remember.

To be fair what TD2K is talking about (condensing water out by refrigeration using MEG) is a kind of dehydration, I guess but it is not what is typically known as dehydration in "the industry". Gas dehydration is typically performed using a counter current packed column with TriEthyleneGlycol (TEG). It will achieve dew point depression well below what a typical refrigeration process will achieve.

:)

The glycol in both projects I mentioned was being injected for hydrate inhibition, same as the OP appeared to be looking for given his title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back