Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Projet 3510 HD Plus wax removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATemet

Electrical
May 11, 2015
US
I am currently using a 3510 HD PLUS from 3D systems. In order to cut cost I have directed my attention to the post processing of my builds. The EZrinse that 3D systems offers is an outragous price. I have found by using cooking oil at 60°C I am able to dissolve the wax at roughly 1/10th of the cost. However, the problem becomes removing the oil from the intricate geometries. I am trying to find a way that I can dissolve or remove the oil without going over 60°C. Although 3D Systems state that you can go to 70°C without warping the plastic, my experiences are different with large flat surfaces. I am using the M3 crystal and the MSDS sheet states that warping occurs after 57°C. It should be noted that I am not concerned with how the surface looks because all of my products end up painted. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My understanding of chemistry is fairly sad. Is this something that a little dose of sodium hydroxide could fix?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any reason why your favorite dish detergent cannot remove the cooking oil at room temp? Seems to work for millions of dishwashers before their favorite show comes on TV...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

a nice way to remove the support wax from acrylate parts is using a steam cleaner!
works nice, but your part(s) will become whitening after it...
but for later painting or coating, i prefer this way (after the normal cleaning process) + some IPA bath for 1-2min to get the parts dry for painting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back