Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prompt for Parameters at Startup? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatwire

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm a new user of SolidWorks, but am quite familiar with modling software as I have been using Pro/E for years. I have to say that I am very impressed with SolidWorks on the surface. But anyway, in Pro/E it is possible to prompt the user to input parameters for part number, description, material, etc. at creation. Does this functionality exist in SolidWorks? I would like to make it so I can prompt the user for the part number, description, and designer name at startup (possibly by using a template). Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I searched through the forum, but wasn't able to find anything on this. If it has been discussed, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is possible, but not built-in. It can be done programmatically using the API, triggering a program when SW fires a "new file" notification.

Hey, sounds like a new API project!

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

I have this set up manually. In SolidWorks the parameters you refer to are custom properties. If you go to FILE/PROPERTIES you get a dialog box. There are 3 tabs DEFAULT...CUSTOM...CONFIGURATION SPECIFIC.

Under the CUSTOM tab are some predifined parameters. You can also create your own. These custom properties can be used to populate fields in things like boms,revision tables, title blocks, etc. So what I have done is set up a templates that has these custom properties predifined. Example PARTNO is the property and the property text field says "ENTER PART NUMBER" Everytime you open a new part the properties I have defined are there. So this is does not automatically pop up when a new part file is opened but what does happen is when you make a drawing of your part or assembly the custom properties automatically populate the title block. Once a person sees "ENTER PART NUMBER" or "ENTER PART MATERIAL" or "ENTER VENDOR NAME" all over the title block they know they need to go back to the part or assembly file and enter this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back