Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Proof-reading errors while looking at CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogleg43

Electrical
Aug 10, 2002
US
I have trouble proof-reading a document when it is displayed on a computer monitor. It seems that no matter how hard I look it over on the screen I will find errors when I print it out.

Need to know if this problem is just with me or if others experience the same thing? Is it an age thing? I’m 50 yrs. old and have been using computers for a long time (20+ years).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I get the print out versions of all drawings,standards,and purchase orders before I sit down to analyse. I notice that I am not comfortable working directly onthe computer. (I am 52 years.)

Great question dogleg43.

It gets worse when you are composing in a second or 3rd language. The eye just can't see the errors on the screen.

Cut down a tree and print the document.

rmw

PS: then send it to a landfill to sequester the carbon.

(Don't take the thread there)

If just checking the spelling, read the document in reverse (from the end to the begining). That way the brain doesn't get programmed to see what should be there. It sees what is there.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

"If just checking the spelling, read the document in reverse (from the end to the begining)."

I tried this once. I can't do it. My eyes strain and I feel a terrible sense of irritation.

I always keep oneside used papers for proof reading prints and use pencil for correction. I suggest my collegues to use pencil when multiple checks are required for regulatory documents.

At college we were charge 5p for every page we printed out. It focussed the mind on getting it right first time. A 70 page document would cost £3.50 when it was eventually printed out. Based on this experience, I think it is possible to proof read on a computer monitor, but it isn't easier.

Now I work and don't have to pay for my own paper, I tend to print out documents for proof reading, especially if I am checking somebody else's work. There was one young engineer who's work I checked. I started off by checking it on screen with tracked changes, but found he always made the same mistakes. When I printed out the documents and wrote on them when things need changing, he stopped making the mistakes because he had to put in work to correct them.

I think it's even tougher to see the errors when making revision changes to a complex drawing.

You know to look at changes you made, but sometimes the big picture isn't there. You know, the flag notes on sheet 1 you haddn't considered, the BOM qtys that are out of sight etc.

A ream of paper costs $1.50 a mistake costs?

Try changing the font to ariel or sim for proof reading. When done proof reading change the font back to whatever. The eye reads ariel better on the screen and reads Times New Roman better on paper.

You also might try looking at the MicroSoft website. They have some free software that makes the letters appear more clearly and thus easier to read. Somehow it makes the letters crisper and sharper and easier to identify.

I have the same problem. If a document needs approval from me, I always look at the print-out which I sign of when approved.

Solidworks 2006/DBWorks 2006 user

I was never very good at reading white on black, I found it more straining than black on white.

In my CAD system you can change background colours of the drawing. I don't like the really dark colours (which is how the modelling environment is set up and is fine there) but changing to light grey can help reduce the strain a little.

I still like to print hard copies though, even if not full size.

Me at 57-years with no power to change focus from relaxed (infinity) to near, I use -4 diopters spherical correction to turn me from nearsighted to farsighted to see across the room. Using half of that, -2 diopters, printed text becomes clear when moved out beyond 13-inch from eye. Of course screen becomes too far away at 48-inches. If a normal, that is farsighted, person loses his power of accomadation (inevetable) the screen would have to be moved 5 feet away to come into focus and eyes to completely relax. To sit at 18-inch (with relaxed eyes) he would need spherical lens magnifiers as sold for $2 at drugstore.

dogleg43,

Someone, somewhere claimed that the best editing device ever created was a red pen. Red pens do not work on my computer monitor, at least, not after the first edit. :)

I am 51. I like to hand E-size drawing prints on my wall.

I can make a mess red-lining a printout, and then be organized as hell when I bring up the computer file and work on it. They won't buy me a 60" monitor with .12mm pitch. Drat!

JHG

I am just turned 30 (yay) and have never been able to comfortably read pages of text on a monitor, LCD, CRT, big plasma. Just doen't feel right.

Definitely there with the red pen comments.

The worst of it is when you need to find some info a 200+ page pdf, can't really justify printing it all off so just have to squint and bear it!

Somebody has to buck the trend here!

I'm one who really prefers proof-reading on the computer. Lately, I have been dealing with documents that are 1000+ pages in length. When you're looking at 60 or 70 times where someone has spelled the word "alignment" as "alinement", it is so great to just use a "find and replace" and not have to worry if you really caught every example. It's also great when the lawyers have all of a sudden taken objection to the words "reasonable assurance" or some other stock phrase.

I can also use the "find and replace" option to get rid of unwanted fonts and font size changes.

I can also easily check to see if accronyms were spelled out the first time -- or if it's the 50th time its been defined (cut and paste at its worst!). I can verify reasonable consistency between sections, especially helpful when dealing with multiple "authors."

I can make comments in the text that automatically show in a different color. I can add comment boxes, I can highlight. And, at the end, I can produce a "redline/ strikeout" version to show all the changes made.

The only times I long for hard copy is when I'm trying to compare two or three tables at the same time (i.e., did the audit team members correctly translate the information from the application and did the applicant correctly translate it from the standard.) But even then I seldom print things out; I just slog through it.

Though I confess, I often print out drawings. But I'm looking forward to the day where Adobe will recognize printing on an image so I can search for a valve number and it will take me right to it.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

vpl,

You are talking about correcting, not proof reading. If I proof read a computer generated document and observe that they wrote "desinger" everywhere, I can write a note requiring a search and replace.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back