Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper attire for an interview 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttuterry

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2006
US
I am interviewing with a small engineering firm soon. I was wondering what people normally wear to a first interview. Should you always wear a suit and tie? Or is it ok to wear a nice pair of slacks and long-sleeved dress shirt? What about a short-sleeved dress up shirt? And how about for the 2nd interview? I already know what I'm wearing, I just thought this could be an interesting topic and something new for the forum as I have not seen any posts about this before.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dress like a complete slob. Unwashed, unshaven, ungroomed. It's good if you smell bad, too. Open toed shoes... Shoes? What for? If you're working inside an office, why not go barefoot and enjoy the carpet?!

After all... it's not about how you look, it's how well you'll perform your job, no?

Sure.

PSE is correct: ASK FIRST. When in doubt, wear the business suit and a tie (tie is optional for women, I guess). If your resume says that you spent six months working in a tar factory, the interviewer will know you're not afraid of dirt.

Look professional for the interview. It's expected.

We used to have a guy who was a REALLY good ECL designer, but he stank like he hadn't had a bath in weeks. You always had to stay upwind of him. What's odd is that he never smelled clean that I can recall, so unclear whether he ever took a bath or simply began to stink immediately after a bath.

Apparently, he somehow made it through his original job interview.

TTFN

Eng-Tips Policies FAQ731-376

This has already been said before but it bears repeating. There is no such thing as a short sleeved dress shirt.

I will also throw my support behind those who said to wear a suit. It's not worth taking a chance if you really want the job. You won't get a job because of how you dress but you can certainly loss one.

I went to an interview once in business casual. They should judge me based on my skills and portfolio of work and not on how I dress blah blah blah. It was a small manufacturing firm that made lawn equipment. They even required that the engineer have machine shop experience to be able to make prototype equipment. Casual seemed fine to me.

The recruiter who set up the interview for me ripped me a new one after that. I didn't get another call for over 6 months from anyone. I guess it really is a small world.

The only time I dressed casual, and still got the job, was because the company told me not to dress up for the job. It was in a foundry and I would be walking around for a tour.

I think the moral of all this is just don't take a chance. What's the big deal about wearing a suit for a few hours.

Here is one example that I have come across myself. Few days after my graduation I happened to be in the area of potential employer. I got the phone call and after brief discussion was asked to come for an interview right away!!
I was dressed in regular clothing and actually mentioned this on the phone. I got an answer "We are looking for the person"!! I got the job.

Maybe I'm old fashioned or just that we live in a colder climate but if you've got to ask a prospective employer what you should wear, then I'm thinking you are a long way off the front of the queue.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't suggest asking.

Let's be honest they may think, "if you can't decide what to wear to the interview then how on earth will you make decisions as part of your job duties".

On the other hand they may apreciate you being pro-active and asking.

I'd have to agree with kenat and sed2. I wouldn't ask.

My last 2 interviews were in Az, one of which was in the summer. There was no way I was going to wear a suit and tie in 105 deg weather so I wore nice slacks and a nice short sleeve button down. After the interview they were very much interested in me and were prepared to make an offer. Unfortunately, they had just merged with another company and suddenly had a hiring freeze.

floattuber, I have to agree with the temp thing.

In my part of the world it gets close to 120 in summer and I'm not sure I could get from the car to a building in a suit:). I'd prefer a short sleeve shirt too but would probably wear a long sleeve for decorums sake.

That said if I really wanted/needed the job and thought the suit would make the difference I'd probably suck it up and wear it.

It really depends on the company and their interviewer. In some markets, the dress code is different than shirt and tie. Wearing a suit will make you stand out as being uninformed of the "norm" of the industry.

Would you wear a suit to a Google interview for software engineer? Probably not.

Would you wear a suit to a Fluor interview for software engineer? Probably yes.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I agree with Dave VickingPE, but would go further.

Wear the scruffiest clothes you own, don’t wash for at least a week and if possible have an all night binge on the beer as well, try to spill as much of last nights meal down you as possible and turn up with a cardboard box, a small scruffy dog and an unlighted cigarette hanging out your mouth.

That way if you do get the job you will know that they think you are a damn fine engineer, it also has the added bonus that you will be suitable kitted out for what you are likely to be doing in the future.

I think the examples about temperature make a fine point. If you can look smart in a short-sleeved shirt but in a long sleeve shirt you'd be sweaty and dishevelled because its 120 outside, the short sleeves are probably going to make a better impression.

I say give yourself as much advantage as possible and wear a full on tuxedo with tails. Don't forget a corsage and white gloves. None of this rental stuff either, you must buy the most expensive tux you can afford...even run up a credit card bill if you must.

That will show the hiring manager how professional you are and how dedicated to the job you will be.

Hmmm...on second thought, going to the illogical extremes of the spectrum aren't relevant.

You only get a chance to make a first impression once, so you ought to err on the conservative side.

When I interview someone, I look for someone who can not only perform the technical aspects of the position but can also enhance the image of our company. If a person won't put forth the effort to look his or her best for an interview, how can I depend on that person to present our customers with a professional image?

Make sure that the suit fits! If the suit is obviously too big or too small, a less than flattering message will be sent to the interviewer.

It really depends on which region too. Here in Silicon Valley, if someone goes in to an interview with a full suit and tie for an engineering job, people might be confused as to what position you think you are applying for. :)

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

I'd be more inclined to say its about presentation rather than just wearing a suit. Granted, my view is skewed somewhat after being interviewed a for a couple of positions recently, I also understand the market is a bit different Down Under.

Any gorilla can go and rent or purchase a suit. Doesn't mean its going to fit, nor does it mean that they'll pay enough attention to other details like shoes.

If one doesn't polish their shoes, iron their shirt or make any other effort then the implied result is that they will approach employment tasks in a similar manner.

In my case, I enquired with HR at one company, who told me not to wear a suit, and I turned up in a tie for the other. I got the job wearing business dress but no suit, and got told not to wear anything so ridiculous as a tie when I started work. It does happen to sit around 35 degrees centigrade during the summer here. I'd believe that turning up in a suit where I live indicates that I have no idea of the climate and am not likely to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back