Properly mating threads on bottle and cap 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alitahl

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2013
US
Hello all,

As the title states, I would like some help in seeing if my bottle and cap threads will properly mate together. I want to have theses 3D printed, but would like to make sure that I will be able to screw them together before spending the money to do it.

Here are the files if you would like to check them out. Please let me know how I can look into this, or if you can give me any idea if they will work together.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't use a SLDPRT file here.

I have on occasion had custom caps made for commercial bottles. In all cases, I measured representative examples of the bottles, and drew the caps from those measurements, mostly because I couldn't get decent drawings of the bottles from the guys who were making them. They all worked okay.

I think there are standards for bottle necks and caps, but I've never seen one. The blow molders with whom I've dealt haven't ever seen a caliper, so it all worked out.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I've done a couple bottle/cap designs. Usually I make the thread as a separate body so I can move it up or down before combining.

Usually I design the cap so that it is fully seated, then move the threads so they are in contact on the side of the thread that would be in contact when tightening.

I've had good luck with this, even getting correct orientation when I need it.

see attached picture

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4e43e7b0-3e83-4db9-909f-8371e99a229d&file=Cap-thread.png
Thank you all for the responses! I appreciate the feedback, I think I will go with the original threads, but make sure it is all on solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back