Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Properties for 1.68" 2032 MCM 72/7 ACSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitin36537

Civil/Environmental
Feb 16, 2001
IN
Can someone provide me linear or non linear properties for 1.68" 2032 MCM 72/7 ACSR Conductor to use in PLS CADD?

I found properties for MOCKINGBIRD which is having 2034.5 kcmil. But for that conductor also I could not find details for coefficient of linear expansion and Modulus of elasticity.

I also need properties for 1/2" ALUMOWELD earthwire.

Thanks

Nitin Patel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have SAG10 by Alcoa now owned by Southwire, you may find it there. You can also contact Southwire to get the properties. If you know the strand diameters, I'll look at my Southwire conductor manual when I get to work tomorrow.

You can also call PLS-CADD support and see if they have the properties.

Here are the coefficients from Sag10:

K0 K1 K2 K3 K4
Outer Initial -1406.9 45658.3 33762.6 -144441 95817 80600 MOE
Outer Creep -341.2 26838.9 -47029.7 51818 -24014 0.00128 Thermal
Core Initial -6.7 8532 12397.9 -22859 9391 11600 MOE
Core Creep -6.7 8532 12397.9 -22859 9391 0.00064 Thermal

The stranding is 72/7,
Area: 1.6650
Diam: 1.680
Weight: 2.160
RBS: 46,700
Chart 1-1053
2032.1 KCMIL
There was no name for it in SAG10.

Power Line Systems has a tech note on their web page that tells how to input data into conductor files to get sag and tension results that correspond to SAG10.

To get the 1/2" alumoweld properties, I need to know the stranding. 7#5 AW has an OD of 0.546".

Mr Tower

Thanks for providing properties.

Nitin Patel

No problem. Post the stranding info for your alumoweld ground wire and I can look up the info for it.

Mr Tower

In plscadd we have to indicate temperature at which stress strain data collected. Can you give some idea what could be temperature for data furnished?

Nitin Patel

The stress-strain data was done at 74°F although I don't think it makes much difference. If you have lidar laser points of the wire sag at a known survey temperature you can get the sags and tensions for other conditions of core temperature. If you can only guess the initial stringing tension and temperature, your predictions of future sags will be off.

You may also have to consider Elevated Temperature Creep for this conductor. There is such a high percentage of aluminum vs steel in the conductor it is susceptible to extra creep. The trick is to know the temperature history of the conductor over it's life. PLS-CADD does not address ETC so to take it into account, you need SAG10 from Southwire which does have a method to calculate the extra temperature you need to put into the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back