Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Properties of combined fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esimp2k

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2006
US
I am looking at a waste stream composed of NaCl, water, and HCl. I know the mass flow rates of each component, but I am looking for physical properties (i.e. viscosity) of the stream as a whole. Any ideas for this ME? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your salt content and HCl content are not too high just use viscosity of water which varies around 1 to 2 cP depending on temperature. If you need the viscosity for pressure drops and the flow is turbulent (normal) then viscosity change by disolved salt and HCl will not effect it too much

The CRC Handbook has tables of density and viscosity at 25 C of NaCl/water, and HCl/water. These show viscosity relative to pure water. A 10 Wt% NaCl solution is about 20% more viscous than pure water. A 10 Wt% HCl solution is about 10% more viscous than pure water. Relative viscosity changes only slightly with temperature. For example, the 10 Wt% NaCl solution has a relative viscosity of 1.25 at 100C versus 1.2 at 25C.

For the blend, I would assume the effects are independent of each other.

Water viscosity can be found from a good steam table. A good online one is at NIST, at

There are many correlations available for this kind of problem, some of them quite accurate. One I have used a few times is the group contribution method. This can be found in Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering Vol 6

If this stream exists in your plant or a similar plant, why not just have a sample taken to the/a lab and measure it? Viscosity measurements of a liquid are nothing special.

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back