Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Properties of FS 1035 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksarita

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2005
US
hi

can any one give me the material information for forged steel 1035.

mainly, i want to know the yeild strength of this FS 1035.
i am doing analysis on Forged Steel Clevise.

please help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am doing a structural analysis on this Forged Steel Clevise.

It is aupplied by MCMaster CARR. They didnt even specifiy the material in particular. U could find the part easily when u search in the catalog in McMaster wbsite for " Forged Steel Clevises"

I called them and asked for details and all they told is that they use FS 1035.

But to compare my stress results i have to atleast know the yeild stress.

I will be very happy if u can help me out.
thanks

Sarita

You can get into big trouble trying to do engineering with catalog parts. Even if you bought one and had the hardness checked (which would get you "ballpark" yield strength with some conversions and interpolation), you have no guarantee that the material and yield strength would not change at some future date, rendering your analysis worthless.

Without knowing the specified heat treatment as mentioned by carburize, an alternative approach in this structural analysis could be to use normalized mechanical properties for AISI Type 1035. If the clevice was required to be heat treated after forging to provide a minimum yield strength value, using the yield strength for a normalized condition would allow you to evaluate how much safety margin is in the design of the clevice. Heat treatment would serve to increase the yield strength and increase design margin in comparison to mechanical properties in the normalized condition.

0.2% YS for AISI Type 1035 hot rolled and air cooled is reported to be ~40 Ksi (source;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back