Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Property for toolbox part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

itjansen

Computer
Jul 12, 2005
NL
In SolidWorks 2005 it is possible to add a part number, description and comment for toolbox parts in the toolbox database. Our PDM-ystem can automaticly link toolbox parts with the matching Item data but it needs to read the part number out of the file properties.

Is there a property defined for this part number in SolidWorks and how can I link it to a custom property?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Altough not well documented inside help, there's a neat feature for toolbox custom properties. You can add custom properties to a Toolbox part and even create a drop-down list when adding the component to a assembly. Imagine you use some certain screw standard a lot. But the position where you locate the screw inside the assembly asks for a different part number altough the geometry is the same. Simply generate a list of part numbers for that specific component, say SC1, SC2, ..SC10 (you can make this for each TB part!!). When you add a screw to the assembly you must also choose which part number from your list you like to attribute to that TB config. Very Nice!

Inside SolidWorks, check Toolbox->Browser Configuration->Browser tab-Custom Properties

SolidMold

When you drop the TB part into the assembly it gives you a menu. In that menu pick "Add" and from there you can give the that configuration of the part a Part number and Description. It will be Configuration specific, so the next time you add that screw into another assembly and it's different, you can add another Part number and Description.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Ok, thus far it works I can add custom properties and part numbers for the toolbox parts, but I need the part number in the PDM-system so it must be available outside of Solid Works.

I'm looking for a solution that makes the part number available in a file property. Anny ideas?

Regards,

Marc

PDM Works automatically has a property called "Number" just place that property in the configuration specific property field and give the property a syntax that reads $PRP:"SW-Configuration Name" This will ensure that whatever custom number you give the toolbox part to show up in PDM Works property labeled "Number".

Please Note: Make sure you remove the read-only rights from each fastener before performing this task.

There may be a better way to do this but for now this is all I can think of.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

Jon,

We use ProfiDB as PDM-system and it needs a custom property with the value of the part number assigned to the toolbox part. Therefore I can't use $PRP:"SW-Configuration Name".

Regards,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back