Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proportional valve for water, low pressure 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

johannestoger

Bioengineer
Mar 27, 2013
SE
Hi,

We're designing a flow experiment where we need to produce a controlled pulse of water in a pipe. Our current design idea is based on a constant head tank, a flow meter, a proportional valve and a control system as follows:

GRSbkU3.png

Image from Gharib et al. J Fluid Mech 1998.

External factors (room size, imaging equipment etc) limits this design to about 1.4 psi pressure in total. Previous researchers have used ASCO 8202, which seems like a perfect fit. However, the 8202 has a too low Cv - 1.1 gpm in the largest configuration - and we need to go to about 6 gpm for the flow rates we need, at this low pressure.

Does the valve forum know of a valve similar to the 8202, but with a higher Cv?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, thanks, I'll look into the Burkert valve!

The Cv value is not set in stone - my rough calculations tell me that Cv around 5-6 should be appropriate.

The reason that I want to use a solenoid is that we need a fast reaction speed - we need to open the valve and close it again in about 300 ms.

Do you know of any other type of valve that can be used?

Oh and another thing - the Burkert and Danfoss valves have a stated minimum pressure of 7 psi (0.5 bar). The highest we can go in the current design is about 1.5-1.7 psi.

So I'm thinking: Will these valve not open at all at lower pressures? Or will they work, but not optimally?

I know from experience also that the Burkert 6223 will not open with less than 7 psi upstream.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

You may need to use a small valve with pneumatic actuator, with a large solenoid on the air line that can open and close the valve VERY quickly

Might work with a pneumatic actuated butterfly valve, but the fastest actuators I know of would not respond much faster than 1 second for a close-open-close cycle. I could diagram a way to make a simple one-way plunger that could deliver the flow impulses you want at any volume/speed/stroke you could want, but you ought to be able to figure it out yourself: put a check valve on the head of the plunger, so it draws from the inlet tank on the return stroke of the plunger, and discharges though the outlet check valve on the forward stroke. Drive it with a regulated air supply, or from a hydraulic pump and variable speed motor, or via a motor and drive screw.

Thanks a lot for very good answers!

@btrueblood: The plunger idea sounds interesting. We have been discussing putting a piston in a pipe, as in the diagram below, is this what you are thinking of?

XOM8vj4.jpg

This design has some nice advantages, including that we can get very exact and repeatable pulses with the right driver. Our main issues with this design are 1) getting a good seal between the piston and the pipe when pressurized and 2) making it doesn't wear down over the several thousand cycles we need. I'd be very happy to hear what you think.

You do not exactly describe your 'controlled' pulse of water. Your flowmeter seems to indicate a controlled amount, variable length, and variable (from pulse to pulse) cv.

Suggestion: If you separate the flow regulation from the opening/closing regulation you might come better out with commercial available components.

In series : a) A standard, but fast, on/off solenoid valve with good repeatability, large enough cv, operating from about zero delta P, and fast opening/closing time (soft opening/closing or not?). See for instance attached data-sheet. (Kv 8 at 1", available also in NPT). Your problem might then be the abrupt opening/closing, but other direct acting types or brands might give faster opening/closing times.

b) Regulating valve, hand operated valve to give correct combined cv.

An idea?

@gerhardl - Thanks, I'll look into it.

By controlled pulse I mean that I'd like the flow to vary as v = V*sin[sup]2[/sup](pi*t/T). Here T is the pulse time, about 300 ms and V is the peak flow, about 0.6 m/s.

Johanne, yes that is what I meant. A good quality stainless steel hydraulic cylinder will likely work, but you may also get good results from some of the cheaper aluminum ones. Making your own is not that tough - piston seals can be simple o-rings for the low pressures you are talking about. Finding a good source of smooth, corrosion resistant alloy tubing might be the toughest part. We once built simple low pressure cylinders from standard drawn copper tubing (water piping), the i.d. finish is typically mirror-smooth.

Don't know about pvc pipe - the i.d. finish can be pretty rough on larger size pipes, but I've never really looked at the i.d. of say 4" pipe that closely. Glass tubing certainly works (doesn't get any smoother than that), but end caps are tricky, you'd want to make up a tie-rod cylinder and put a good cushion on the ends of the tube, or use a fairly soft plastic for the end caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back