Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting the format and formulas of the sheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladkenn

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2004
US
All,

Please help me how to prevent the changing format of a spreadsheet. I also need to protect the formula in a cell from being change by someone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tools--->Protection--->ProtectSheet... and then add the password. Though this is a weak protection, your original sheet will be in tact. When somebody copy pastes the contents, the protection is lost. 'SaveAs' will keep the protection.

You can also lock individual cells, without locking the entire worksheet.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Hello

Be careful it is very easy to break protection on spreadsheets Excel in particular. Ther may be add-ins avaialble or you could try Linking with another program and sending out run times. Check out for the TK Player which would do the trick.

Sorry for a butt-in question...

How do we protect individual cells without protecting a whole sheet?

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Format|Cells|Protection tab. Select the cells you want UNprotected, then format and uncheck the 'Locked' option. When you then use Tools|Protection|Protect sheet all cells will be locked EXCEPT those that you unlocked

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

Thanks John. I made the mistake of looking for that feature after I protected the sheet... formatting cells is not an option at that point. Kind of makes sense. Thx.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I have a similar question to this topic. When I go to adjust column widths, or add a column, I get the following error message "cannot shift objects off sheet". All of my protections are turn off. Is there another protection setting somewhere that someone placed on this sheet, or is this a completely different setting that is turned on/off?

farnye,

You must have a drawing object, or some other type of object like an embedded chart, way out on the right near the last column of the sheet. If the object properties are to move with cells, then increasing the width of a column might require moving the object off the sheet to the right. You can select the object and change the properties (Format menu) to have it not move with the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back