Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Protection Relays Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinfoil

Electrical
Jun 24, 2004
CA
I am planning to purchase a new three-phase and/or a new single-phase relay tester to replace our old 'dinosaur' single-phase Multi-Amp unit.

I was curious was everyone else is using, and what they thought of them.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who purchased a 'modern' unit in the last couple of years.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have been using Omicron CMC 256 for 2 years now and see it as a irreplacable peice of equipment within our test lab it has cut the test time for complicated relays by up to half (sometimes more)

It has many features and can be set up to run automatically with little inferace between the operator and the set

my recommendation

:)

I've been using a ISA/DRTS-3 more than 4 years. although it's not as powerful as Omicron, it's a cheaper option. Also you can easily prepare your own set algorithms.

Else, you can purchase Freja, from Programma Inc. Both Omicron and DRTS are fully contolled with a PC (you can never work this device without a PC) but Freja lets you control it with a userfriendly interface even if you don't have a PC at site.

If you want to buy a single phase tester, I can advice Sverker 750 (or a better one). A cheap and multi-functioning solution where you can test other devices (CT, VT etc) with one test set.

Whatever device you prefer, buy a transport valise if you are always travelling (I know what it means when the lifter throws your test set inside the aircraft baggage).

We use the Doble test set and have found it very durable. This is important to use because we are always transporting it to the job site. Some of the other equipment we have had from Multi-Amp and Omnicron have been less dependable.

Also, whatever system you go with you should plan on it being your company standard since setting up training and the automated test plans for the relays take time. Don't buy Doble this year and Omnicron Next year. Your techs will appriciate it.

There is a software interface available for making test plans and such that will work with almost any test set. This will allow you to standardize on the software while allowing different companies hardware to be used. Problem is I can not remember the name. Perhaps someone will recall the software (pretty new). (We use omicron)

I believe that it is ProTest that buzzp is referring to. It's used with Doble test equipment, Omicon Test kit, Multiamp, Freja etc.etc. A valuable piece of software to use with whatever test equipment you plan to purchase. Also good for building a database for relay testing.
Good Luck

DanDel,
Thats the name. We will be getting this software in the next year (so I am told). Pretty spendy software but sounds like it will be well worth it (we have 40+ hydro plants to deal with, with way to many test sets).

We use Protest but I was of the impresson that it was only used with the Doble equipment. I could be wrong. wont be the first time! I would be very interested if I am so please let me know.

We use more than 25 Omicrons in our company and we are happy with the equipment, software and thier customer service 100%.
Not compareable to Doble at all.

Sverker 750 is a nice unit but very sensitive to supply fluctuations. Not advisable to run it from a portable generator for remote location testing without some form of voltage stabilising on the supply to the unit.

Any links to info on the Pro test software?

Making the smoke come out is easy; getting it back in is a bugger.

Dear robb1,
Please, can I have details of your order/ordering information for the cofiguration+accessories that you have. I presume you have tested satisfactorily T/L Protection relays of all the popular makes/vendors. We are in the process of finalizing an order for the same Omicron CMC256 with Universal software, and your info on what accessories you have got will probably help us consolidate the order. Please do let us know about the freebies that come along with the package too :)

Best regards

The Omicron CMC 256 is the ultimate test equipment but the freja from Programma is also still equally good and I find the Freja more durable.

AVO has merged with Megger, and they've replaced their old Pulsar model with a new MPRT lineup. It has most power in the relay testing industry.
Top of the line is a 4 channel version, delivering 30Amps to all channels. Alternatively you can connect all channels together and get 120Amps. Some 5Amp relay types require a lot of current capability from a tester. Many testers struggle in this.
User configurable testing macros. They also have user forums and seminars where MPRT users share info on using this equipment.
Laptop PC not required in testing. Touch sensitive screen is used to operate the tester.

Links to relay tester pdf files, and softwares as well:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back