Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Protection relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie1a

Electrical
Apr 18, 2008
US
We are looking at upgrading some protection relays. We are looking at SEL, Siemens, ABB, Eaton....... Trying to determine who is the best? Looking for feedback. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

51GS - inverse overcurrent of some form. I hate guessing, especially when there is so little standardisation on use of suffix letters. Ground? Generator? Stator? Standby? Secondary?

Should have mentioned it a high resistance grounded system. The 51GS is the ground fault on the feeder breaker. The ground fault will immediately notify the operators and electrical staff that we have a ground fault and we also start a timer if the problem is not corrected within that time period we trip the feeder.

wolfie1a

Based on your needs, you could look into
SEL 500 series (587 (Diff & O/C) & 501 (OC - dual) - Low Cost -minimal, but proven platform, or
SEL 300 (387 (Diff+O/C +++) - modern platform (higher priced) & SEL 351 (19" relays) Fixed (but available expanded I/O) or
SEL 700 (787 (Diff & OC) + 751A (O/C++) lower cost, more comm options, expandable I/O. Programmable Push buttions

I tend to think for the size and application you are seeking, the SEL 700 series is a good choice, as the I/O can be expanded, the communications options (past and future) are available and it fits into a panel cut out roughly the size of old GE & Westinghouse 50/51 relays.

The SEL 500 series are a bit older technology and have limited I/O.

SEL 700 uses the green "Phoenix" removable connectors (some like, others dont). SEL 300 / 500 series can accept a standard #12 AWG ring type lug.

SEL has on their website "Retail" Prices, and on line configuring (which updates the pricing).

Please don't forget test switches, whatever you do!!

I have nothing but good experiences with SEL. The manuals are extensive and there is a learning curve to be sure. Their application engineers are knowledgeable and responsive. Field support is great also. Nearly everyone I know who works there likes the company and a couple have tried to recruit me.

Alan
The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is. Unk.

A relay with GE's design concepts, Alstom's hardware design, SEL's reliability, Basler's software and Schneider's service would be close to prefect for me.

But good product support is most important of all. In my part of the world ABB and Siemens are really bad at this, so I would steer clear of them, but I imagine in parts of Europe their support would be very good.

The catch is you need to be selling relays to be able to fund good local support.

Finding out what other companies in your region use will give you a pretty good idea as to which ones have good support.

They all have good features, along with problems and strange quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back