Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protective Relaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madman4q

Electrical
Dec 7, 2006
US
Can anyone please explain long time and short time settings on a digitrip type solid state trip device?
I'm an intern and would like to learn more about power sys protection. Can anyone please recommend a book that explains relaying, fault analysis,... I'm looking for a real good book for a beginner.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably the best general relaying book is J. Lewis Blackburn's Protective Relaying: Principles and Applications. For a good overview of low voltage trip units I'd go with the first section of Eaton Cutler-Hammer's Consulting Application Guide.

I'm glad that there is an intern with interest in this field. I am a 26-year old electrical engineer in the power industry, and there seem to be few of us.

Wbd's recommendation, "The Art and Science of Protective Relaying", is the book I started with. It's an excellent resource.

Although this may not be an option at this time, I would also recommend a class at Georgia Tech, "Power System Relaying: Theory and Application." The professors, A.P. Sakis Meliopoulos and Tony Ayoub, are passionate and interesting.

Kyle2022 -
Your not alone, I have been in the electric utilities for 24 yrs. I was the last power engineer to graduate from my school as they were investing heavily into micro-electronics and electronics. I do understand now that WPI is going to revive their power system undergrad program.

Another good book is Stevenson's "Elements of Power System Analysis"

A contender for the position of best general relaying book is the Protective Relay Application Guide originally published by GEC Relays. Alstom and latterly Areva have had the decency to continue to make it available as a free download. It is among the links and references in this thread: thread238-105542. Download it at work - the full book is enormous, or better still get your employer to buy the paper version. Mine is well used, a sure sign of a useful book.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Here's a free book on coordination and protection.

It's very similar to IEEE standard 242.

The other book i would recommend is "Applied Protective Relaying" It was originally published by Westinghouse ( Circle-bar-w) and is now published by ABB. The turn up at place like Powells in Portland ( who will put you on the waiting list, or on eBay. JL Blackburn wrote a couple of the chapters in it.
I had it in college as a text book and If I remember correct the professor got them for us free.

All, thanks for your advice. I've started a collection of relaying books and I'll add those mention above. Any advice for someone interested in this field?

The book mentioned by ScottyUK is a good reference, particularly if you are in the IEC world, or can easily work back and forth between ANSI and IEC. There's a bit of ANSI terminology in the book, but it is mostly IEC and it would probably be best, if you are in the ANSI world, to learn the ANSI terminology first and then use the Areva to expand your knowledge. Another reference, probably on every utility protection engineer's bookshelf in the US is the Transmission and Distribution book, originally by Westinghouse and now available (for $200 last I checked a few years back) from ABB. It would have been nice if they had updated the book, but it does include a CD with the entire contents in PDF, making word searches far easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back