Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PRT files

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbot

Industrial
Aug 21, 2007
US
Have PRT files on CD, cannot open, what do I need to open these files? They are blueprints sent from a company we are to do business with.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shouldn't you ask the guys that sent you the files?

Didn't you coordinate with the sender to make sure that you had a CAD program that could read the files?

I really don't understand what you expected to get.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

The files were sent from company to give use access to all blueprints of gears etc. Some are DXF files and some are TIF files, but most are PRT files. We are a small company and I am in the quality control dept. So you are saying we need to invest in CAD program to open these? Is there not another way to access these files without the expense of this program?

I agree with IRstuff that you should ask the company that sent you the files about what program they used to create them. Some files have a free viewer program, assuming that all you need is to view them. If not, then get the company to send them in a format that you CAN read.

It's possible that there might be a lower cost format converter, but those are sometimes a dubious proposition. You should go back to the supplier and ask for all DXF files.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks for the info. I will talk to supervisor and relay the messege that he might contact supplier of CD and see if they can re-send with appropiate files that we may be able to view. Thank you all for you input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back