Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSU living hinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

POOLS

Materials
Dec 11, 2011
DK
Hej

Is there anyone which can help me designing a living hinge of PSU.

The thickness is 0.2 mm
length is 6.7 mm
width is 19

the questions i have is:

the life cycle for bending in 45 deg. is 500 times?
is this design possible for injection molding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's certainly possible with PP with the right grade if designed correctly in a correctly designed mould and if moulded correctly. Note there are a few ifs in there. I am presuming PSU is polysulphone. I was not aware its molecule was linear enough to draw down to bring the molecules parallel enough to be all perpendicular enough to the axis of the hinge.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

PSU is Polysulfone and is used in medical equipment. I am making a bachelor project for a medical device where i need to make this living hinge. this material is unchangeable. i just need some guidelines to confirm if this material is application for making a hinge.

WHY is the material unchangeable? PP is the traditional living hinge material, as others have mentioned.

If the material spec truly is written in stone, can you design it as a 2 pc "snap" hinge instead?

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back