Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSV Inspection Sch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nong

Chemical
Nov 22, 2001
TH
Each PSV is planned to inspec every year.

If we design to have 2 PSVs are installed with 100% capacity(for on-line maintenance), one on-line, on-standby.Can we extend inspection schedule to every 2 yrs?

My idea is we can't, we have to inspect all PSVs as sch., but I can't find in API.

If u know what API part, pls inform.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to API 510 paragraph 4.5. The intervals are based on past performance. Two years are normal for new equipment without past performance records. The maximum interval is ten years. I don't know if API addresses redundant PSV's; however, I would certainly want to be sure that when I switched over to the spare, it was in good condition.

We use a system to calculate the relief valve testing interval. The service conditions from items like pulsation, corrosivity, size, location, set pressure, ect.

We also take into acount past history of use, previous inspections, age, other safety systems. We then use this data to set the testing period. For example, a sour fluid on a pulsating line set at 1000 psig that has opened at least once a year will be inspected every 6 months. A relief valve on a propane storage tank that hasn't open in the last two years will be inspected every 5 years (per ASME section VIII)

I'm sorry, some, some misunderstanding ?
I mean testing, not inspection. I try to find that are there state about testing frequency of stand-by PSV.
I haven't seen in API 520,521,526..etc.

Are there in ASME 8, unfortunately it's lost from my office.

Thanks

On PSV's I equate testing and inspection. There are some issues with just putting a test ring under a relief valve and making it open and calling it good. But that's an entirely new forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back