Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PT100 probe plug/connector inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

civsa

Civil/Environmental
Jun 24, 2009
AR
Hello:

New here ... =-)

I would be very obliged if you'd allow me to tap into the collective experience of this group.

I need to connect a 4 wire PT100 immersion probe to a (very good quality but now out of production) IR thermometer which has a socket like the one in the attached photo.

I have not been able to ID it, does not seem to be Mini DIN as the inner diametre is ~ 5.5 mm. I doubt it is of a proprietary nature but you never know.

The people at Omega don't know it.
The instrument is European, my guess is that the plug is also.

I'll be very grateful for any input.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

CIVSA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You in a heap-O-trouble boy!
2rcl83l.gif

It looks proprietary to me.

I suggest you modify it.

I would find a gold pinned DIN of your choice and solder a shielded pigtail on it including to the DIN housing(the shield).

I'd put about three layers of shrink tube staggered like a wedding cake on the free end of the pigtail for strain relief.

Prep the individual wires just after the shrink tubing and solder them to the gold pins in your existing socket.

Pour the socket full of epoxy making sure the shrink tubing is well into the epoxy. The shrink tubing will act as strain relief.

You will then have a serviceable RTD input.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Hello Keith:

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Much appreciated.

> You in a heap-O-trouble ...
I was afraid someone would say that.
And that it 'would' end up being a P design.

I had also been thinking of doing a similar mod but at the same time hoping that I'd find some plug that would fit.

Thanks for the idea. =-)

Best rergards,

CIVSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back