Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PTC and what it might do for you...... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prohammy

Mechanical
May 28, 2003
GB
Just a flippant topic that I'd like to put in here (I know that this has been discussed before, but now that WF3 is on the market, I just wonder has it released a whole new set of demons)...

So here goes....

If PTC rang you in the morning (assuming that it is not too early) and asked you what the one thing you would like to change about ProE was, what would it be?

Personally, I'd like them to change that stupid clean dims to actually do something useful without me having to tell it what to do in the first place

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to be able to customize the RMB pop-up menus. They frequently could allow many useful additions. For instance, if I am (re)defining a section and pick on a dimension, why on earth isn't REPLACE one of the options?

Also, if I pick on an object in the graphics window or model tree I want an OPEN GENERIC pick. Right now it is way too hard to find & open a generic model when you have an instance on screen.

Don't forget the "clean balloons". It should know not to overlap balloon leaders. It will also run a leader clear across an assembly view instead of ballooning it on the nearest side.
Witness lines overlapping object lines. This looks like junk, and I spend way too much time fixing them.
There's plenty more...

David

I also hate when I'm working on an assembly, have a part or subassembly active, and switch to another part, then back, and the part or subassembly doesn't stay active. I sometimes accidently add a part or feature to the main assembly forgetting it didn't stay active.
Also, I wish you could make shaded views, planes, axis, etc. file dependant. For example, you could have your assembly displayed in shaded without planes, but when you open a part, you could display it with planes as a wireframe. As it is now, if you're working on a part and have your planes and axis on, and toggle to the assembly, you get a mass of planes and axis that you can't even see the assembly thru.
I also want to be able to have the planes displayed on parts, but not on the drawing when you have it open it at the same time. In fact, it would be nice to have a config to "never show datums in drawings" or something similar.

David

Re the last two points David. I generally use layers for those ones. Have the datums on and then just layer-off what you don't care about in the drawing. (Its also a handy way of keeping datum planes/axes on the drawing). In assemblies I layer-off everything in a component once I have it assembled, leaving me with only assy_datums active in the assy model.

I have thought of another thing I hate as well, when you assemble a component into an assembly (when the comp is open ) and the comp window goes full screen instead of 1/4 screen. Annoys the hell out of me

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

I would like to fix the menu in the "edit definition" of impoted features. The heal geometry menu keeps disappearing and evry time you have to go to edit in the drop down menus.

Joe Borg

How about having an easy way to not show centerlines of pipes created in advanced pipe. (Not pro-piping)
The move features onto a layer and hide is not a good work-around.

David

How about ending the endless display of cancel menus when trying to cancel out of a feature.

Are you sure you want to exit the sketch? Yes
Are you sure you want to cancel the feature? Yes
Are you getting pissed off? Yes

The CTRL key usage for basic selection for features like intersect and rounding should allow for one by one selection method. For things like merges you cannot merge three features and it's definately not possible to merge a surface to itself so why am I wearing out the CTRL key.

Detail views in drafting are still way better than in UG where you can't edit the attachment of the SEE DETAIL note, however you still need to draw the damn spline and to make it a clean circle you need to sketch one and pick on it's quadrants to get a smooth circle. They should give an option to sketch a circle or ellipse or spline within the View dialog.

I have some others too but not right now. I liked it a lot better when I was working at PTC and could get the problems I saw addressed more quickly.

Michael

I would like to see a functionality that would allow you to have different orientations OF THE SAME MODELS in an assembly. What I mean by this, is if you have ONE large assembly installed in different configurations you can have just one model in your assembly and memory. I know that you can accomplish this with simplified reps, but it would be nice to only install everything once in these cases rather than multiple times. I run into this all the time with tooling jobs. If an assembly gets tested for 6 configurations on one tooling plate, it would be nice to only install everything once.

Michael,

In WF3 you can shortcut all the cancel menus:
If you are sketching a feature and want to completely exit, just hit the red X in the bottom right hand corner - just one confirmation and you're out.

I'd like to see the right hand mouse button options controlled in config.wi

John

i would like to see PTC make a one menu pick (cion is ok) that would create a Standard Parabola. first pick is the focal point, second pick is the vertex (lowest point of the parabola) and the third pick is the point 90 degree to the axis of the parabola. This point is 45 degrees and tangent to the parabola and that line interects the directix. The last pick would or could define a "x" distance along the x axis (or the y axis if height is desired) or the length of the curve.
I have created a relational parametric sketch that does all this but is have to be fixed everytime I bring it into a new file (.prt).
Texaspete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back