Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PTC for P4/P5 Material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoorthy

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
Is it mandatory to send the PTC along with the equipment for Heat treatment.

There is Only one equipment.

Is it permited to carry out heatreatment of PTC and test it a week in advance and subsequently heatreat the job. Maintaining the same heatreatment cycle. Also providing another PTC along with the job, but not test it so long as the original PTC's heatreatment cycle and the job heatreatment cycle matches. In the event of heat treatment cycle not matching then use the second PTC.

This is avoid unpleasnt surprises after the heatreatment of the job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As per ASME code, it is not mandatory to PWHT the PTC along with the equipment, code permits to simulate the pwht prior to PWHT of equipment. and it need not be the same cycle as PTC provided within the prescribed limitations given for heating rate, holding temp, holding time and cooling rate.
Second PTC is not at all required.

hope this could help u.

I do not know what process you are using,however I assume you have reviewed SecIX ArticleII and QW407.1 and QW407.4.

Please also review SecVIII Div1 UW-40(d).

You of course place yourself at risk by not having the procedure qualified prior to welding the product. So,you can wait till the last minute for the PTC. I am not aware of any requirment to send a test coupon along with the product for PWHT. However if you can it may be good"CYA".

The Procedure is already Qualified, without a qualified procedure the job is not welded However based on MDMT of the Job and the thickness Impact test is required as per UCS66 and as per UG 84 PTC is to be tested for this job.

The Querry was that is it the intent of Code to Weld the Coupon along with the job and send the coupon along with the job for heat treatment.

The Procedure is already Qualified, without a qualified procedure the job is not welded. However based on MDMT of the Job and the thickness, Impact test is required as per UCS66 and as per UG 84 PTC is to be tested for this job.

Is it the intent of the code that coupon be welded along with the job.

Oh! You did not list impacts. I would say you have the option of either way. If it is a high dollar job and I could,I would do both. See UCS-85.

If you want more,list SAs and thicknesses along with MDMT.

Bmoorthy,
Code clauses UG-84(i)(1), AT-203(a) & AT-203(b) address the issue. For Category A joints the PTC has (shall) to be welded as an extension of seam unless it is impractical (hemi-head to shell). For category B joints where a separate ptc is reqd (on account of different welding procedures)and category A joints where attaching ptc to the seam is impractical; it has to be welded concurrently or "as close to the start of production welding as possible". The last part has to be agreed upon with the AI "How close is close?".

If it is any help, one can refer back to an interpretation VIII-1-92-181 and VIII-2-92-15 where the then applicable phrase "immediately prior to start of production welding" was interpreted as "welded only sufficiently in advance to allow for prompt heat treatment and impact testing to be completed prior to start of production welding".

I have not come across an interpretation after the wordings have changed but I guess it should certainly be acceptable to weld a ptc a day before production welding provided the welding equipment, materials and location are same. Of course, in case of Longitudinal seams where it is possible to attach the ptc to the seam this would not be permissible.

Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back