Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PTO driven whinch

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanci

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
i would like to install a PTO driven winch on my automatic F-350, the question that comes to mind is; do i need to install a manual tranny? the transfer case does not have PTO installed on it at the moment but can i get the PTO attachment and take the plate off the t-case and insatll it or will i need a different t-case. any advice is appreciated

p.s. it is a 1994

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only experience I have with auto trans driven PTO was in a ford F600 tow truck. When the load increases the tourque converter stalled and the engine speed had to be increased to the point that the hydraulics slammed the cylinders, total loss of control. Could have been solved with flow limiting valve but belt driven pump has been much more successful (in daily use for 6 yrs with one belt replacement).

Several years ago I checked PTO prices and when my chin came back off the floor. I bought a Milemarker power steering pump driven winch and so far no problems and NO leaks and for lots less $$$
Pancholin.

PS The PTO takeoff cover on my transfer case doesn't leak either.
Driving the PTO on the transfer case gives you all the tranmission forward and reverse speeds, but the TC stays in neutral, so you must use the brakes to hold the vehicle. Assuming you are extracting someone else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back