Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Publicly available borehole logs - North America (USA & Canada) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKD_BW

Marine/Ocean
Apr 10, 2019
GB
I am looking for any available ground investigation information or general geology characteristics for the Gulf of Mexico (central Florida area).

In Britain we have the following opensource resource which provides this type of info across the UK, it is extremely useful at early tender stage as it gives an idea of the ground conditions.

Do you have a similar resource in the US or Canada? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt there is much! The whole world should adopt something like the New Zealand Geotechnical Database IMO. Even Canadian companies I worked at don't have anything like it internally, it's quite embarrassing. So much missed opportunity from hiding or losing data.

It's not necessarily an easily searched database, but CALTRANS geotechnical has a web portal that includes all of their geotechnical related reports, boring logs, drawings, foundation testing, etc. It is mapped by location so its best if you have a certain area you are looking at. If anyone is working in California this is a great desk study resource. This wouldn't help with the Gulf of Mexico however.

Geotechguy - I beg to quietly differ. I worked for Geocon (part of Lavalin, now SNC-Lavalin group) and we had a excellent database in Toronto. In fact, I used it to have a good handle on jobs just because we had done a project next door. Again, though, it is an organization by organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back