published papers for power engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo2

Electrical
May 17, 2006
US
I know we've got a thread on
What are good references for a Power Engineer?
faq238-1287

Do any of you have favorite published papers that might work into a list of good references also.

For example, I'm thinking of some IEEE papers that many regard as classic:

Like Neher - McGrath on cable ampacity - I'll have to look up the complete citation. Or later work by Anders on the same topic.

Or Carson's line impedance work.

Grainger had a few papers on capacitor placement.

Maybe there's some favorite IEE papers to add.

Any takers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Let's Be More Specific About Equipment Grounding" - R.H. Kaufmann, Volume XXIV, Proceedings of American Power Conference, 1962

Fortesque - 1918 - method of symmetrical co-ordinates applied to the solution of polyphase networks.

General Electric - the whys of the wyes - the behaviour of transformer y connections.

Both very good papers in the relevant topics. Fortesque's one was the start of sequence networks for fault analysis. It is old, and detailed, but good. The GE one is typical of GE documents, and covers star windings very well.

ausphil

Here's what I've got so far including more complete citations and headings:

Symmetrical Components
Charles L. Fortescue, "Method of Symmetrical Co-Ordinates Applied to the Solution of Polyphase Networks", AIEE Transactions, vol. 37, part II, pages 1027-1140.

Impedances of Overhead Lines
Carson, J. R. (1926), “Wave propagation in overhead wires with ground return”, Bell System Technical Journal, 5, pp. 539-554.

Cable ampacity
J. H. Neher and M. H. McGrath, "The Calculation of the Temperature Rise and Load Capability of Cable Systems", AIEE Transactions, Part III, Volume 76, pp 752-772, October, 1957.

Ferroresonance
Hopkinson, R. H., “Ferroresonance during single-phase switching of 3-phase distribution transformer banks”, IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-84, no. 4, pp. 289-293 (April, 1965)

Smith, D. R., Swanson, S. R. and Borst, J. D., “Overvoltages with remotely-switched cable-fed grounded wye-wye transformers”, IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-94, no. 5, pp. 1843-1853 (September/October, 1975)

Grounding
Kaufmann, R. H, "Let's Be More Specific About Equipment Grounding", Volume XXIV, Proceedings of American Power Conference, 1962

Miscellaneous
Kaufmann, R. H. “The Magic of I2t,” IEEE Transactions on Industry and General Applications, vol. IGA-2, Sept/Oct 1966, pp. 384–392.

Yuen, M. H., “Short Circuit ABC – Learn It in an Hour, Use it Anywhere, Memorize No Formula”, IEEE Trans. On Industry Applications, Vol. IA-10, No. 2, March/April 1974, pp. 261-272.

A. J. Schultz, I. B. Johnson, N. R. Schultz, "Magnification of Switching Appears", AIEE Trans. on PAS, vol. 77, February 1959, pp. 1418-1426.

Grainger, J. J., S.H. Lee (1981), "Optimum Size and Location of Shunt Capacitors for Reduction of Losses on Distribution Feeders", IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-100 (3), pp. 1105-1118.

The wyes of the wyes is more a pamphlet rather than a paper. Also I don't know who the GE authors are on it.

Feel free to add more to this starting list.

Looks like a good start. Some of these may be hard to track down if you don't have access to a good research library.

"The Why of the Wyes" is available for download on the GE website, BTW.

The Fortescue and Carson papers are both available by following the Fortescue link in the FAQ. If links for the other papers can be provided I will add them to the FAQ also.

"IEC Medium-Voltage Circuit-Breaker Interrupting Ratings - Unstated Short-Circuit Considerations" - IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications Vol 36 No. 3, May/June 2000.
This paper discusses the specification of breakers in networks with high X/R and subsequent high peak currents, and dc current and current at the instant of contact separtation ( breaking currents ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back