Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Publishing 3D Models to Web . . . 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherpipeguy

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2003
US
Has anyone here ever explored the idea of publishing 3D interactive models to the web? Without the need for the web-surfer to download a plug-in?
One of the primary reasons 3D content posted to the "net" is not a priority these days is because of the need for the viewer of the site to download a specialized plug-in, and another is the challenge of translating the model accurately, without data loss, while somehow remaining beneficial to the project. The technological advances made within the past ten years would be inconceivable to someone a hundred years ago, and are also inconceivable to the poor soul attempting to display a 3d model to the web in modern day cyber-culture. I have been working with ACAD 200X, 3Ds, Shout3D, X3d, Cult3D, Blender, Java, and Javascript to name a few, and if I didn't believe that we as a culture are on the brink of an epiphany.... I would move on to greener pastures. However, I am on to something ! If you have something to add, a question,comment, tip, etc. I'd love to hear it.
Regards, anotherpipeguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cadregister do it. They seem to have their own proprietary format which allows you to view, rotate, zoom a 3D model on the screen. It actually even generates a model on the fly from options you select, and you don't need a plugin.

As for open source solutions, I've not come across any.

Excessive accuaracy is a sign of poor breeding. -Socrates.

Petercharles,
The link is excellent! My creativity is born again. I believe it will handle about any 3d model, with the size of the model being proportionate to the loading time of the applet...i hope. Either way, the content I observed was excellent, and was more than sufficient to express a design.
Thank you

These are interesting, but they only show a wireframe model. Is there one that shows the rendered model? Even if it just shows the drawing as you would see it in AutoCAD when you open up the drawing, without the rotation, etc.

[blue]IFRs[/blue], if you want to show a rendered model without rotation, why not use images like jpeg, gif or some other screen capture?

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

If you need to share CAE models and results, say from FEA (Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus, Ideas ...) or CFD (FLUENT, ...) the best tool I know is GLview Pro from CEETRON.

The software works with the PDF philosophy:

1. you have the licensed software GLview Pro (as Adobe Acrobat)

2. you also have the free viewer and plug-in (as Acrobat Reader).

It works on Windows, Unix and Linux.

Regards,
Francesco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back