Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulling out hair - Inserting Word into Cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

crkranz

Structural
Jan 21, 2003
US
How do I insert a word document into Autocad and have it remember my formatting?

I am trying to insert general notes created in Word onto an Autocad plan sheet. I can't get the text to insert with out either creating long lines of text or I completely lose my formatting all together. I would like to insert my text and have it look exactly like my Word document (spacing, tabs, indentations, etc.).

Thanks In Advance.
Chris K

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"YEAH!"
I'm with Chris ...
I'd like to see that happen.
I've tried with no success.
After importing the text, I always have to "RE-FORMAT".
At this point, I setup the file with an MTEXT window open ... and have one of the assistance re-type it with tabs, etc... At least for long specs or general notes.
I hope "FH" or "BorgUnit" have a LISP for this problem. Or anyone for that matter.
[roll1]

I do not use it too much but you can if you choose INSERT >> OLE Object >> CREATE FROM FILE and then browse to the file you want to insert (i.e. WORD doc). You may need to edit the file into the exact way you want first, but it seems to work OK.

Hi guys,
It needs a lot of programming efforts and can be done using VisualLISP or VBA (VBA is better). Uunfortunately I have no code ready to do that task but if I find, I will let you know.
:)
Farzad

Look into SmartNotes. You didn't mention what release of ACAD you were running, but this works on 2000 and up. There is a 45 day free trial, which is more than enough time to see if it suits your needs. I have never used this product myself, but I thought I might point it out to see if it could benefit you:

Flores

Oh, I guess I was not following exactly what you were saying. You are looking to make them ACAD objects and not OLE. Anyway, I have had good luck with saving my Word doc as an rtf file and then from the mtext dialog, importing that text. Let me know if this helps any.

I am running 2002.

rtf. files are limited to 16k and the notes I want to insert are 200k+. I did find a lisp to insert notes which works ok. You need to save the doc. file as an asc. file. This works pretty good but you still lose some formatting. So I'm still looking for a lisp to inserting doc. files if this is even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back