Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pulverizer Fogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtutley

Electrical
May 11, 2007
US
I have no idea what this is and I was hoping one of you folks could explain what pulverizer fogging is with respect to a coal fired power plant. Can anyone give me an idea of what this is exactly?

I would ask around my office, but frankly I would rather appear ignorant in front of people I don't know as opposed to those I work with on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

not sure about pulverizer fogging, but in use on a CT, introducing a water mist (fogging) gives gains in energy output by reducing the temps in the flue gas stream when environmental conditions are restrictive.

Steven C
ThirdPartyInspections.com

Ok, well, thanks for the effort. I guess it is not a topic everyone knows, so I'll go ask the senior engineers here. I'll let you know what I find.

This is what it is for:

The pulverizer is , as I suspected, for grinding the coal to be injected into the burners. The plants I am working on are switching to a higher blend of PRB coal and so they want to cut down on the amount of dust in the ducts near the pulverizers. Hence, the fogging system. This lends just enough mass to the particulate to precipitate it out. The electrical portion of this is really nothing more than finding the feed for the 480/208/120 panel to feed the fogging system. I knew what I was doing for the project, but had no idea what this system was really for. It is part of the dust suppression system. Now we all know.

DO NOT FOG WHEN USING PRB!

damp PRB will self ignite and the dust will form a nice place for it to accumulate in cable trays and other hidden/hard to get to spots just waiting to get to the right moist temp.

i have seen PRB coal cars come into a plant smoldering and have had bunker fires to boot.

Steven C
ThirdPartyInspections.com

I have installed a couple of these systems in coal fired power plants. They are used to contol the coal dust when rail cars are dumping their coal. The systems work well and fairly effective. I believe they were originally developed for the mining industry, but have been used for power plants as well. There may be more than one company that manfactures this type of system, but the only one I have used and am aware of is listed below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back