Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBuer

Civil/Environmental
Mar 12, 2003
CA
I've been asked to design a small pumphouse to replace a 45 year old system for a campground and bunkhouse. The existing system works well so I will basically copy it. Except for the pump control (old Heally Ruff). It works well but can't be serviced locally.
The exiting system is split, campground summer only, bunkhouse all year. The bunkhouse pumps are controlled based on pressure. The campground pumps are controlled based on the level in a 2000 gallon holding tank (gravity feed from the tank to the campground). The pressure system is easy but I'm not sure about how to easily control the pumps from floats in the holding tank. We'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was wondering if their was enough head to use a pressure sensor for your control, I guess not.
What type of control system, floats are on it now?
Is this a metal tank?
Any openings or ports on top?

The tank has floats and they run through the control panel. I am coming around to the realization that I can control the pumps directly with the floats as we do with septic tanks. Although the existing system runs through the Heally-Ruff it isn't really necessary.
The tank is plastic and it has openings in the top.

It is the name of a company that makes controllers. Until I started this project they were the only ones I had heard of. The ones we have in our systems have worked well for many years but when we have problems none of our local electricians know what to make of them.

Probably the least expensive and most reliable control system would be induction relays and electrodes similar to the B/W 1500 series. B/W is now owned by AMETEK. This type control equipment has been around and not changed much over the years. It is easy to design and install and it is very immune to surges.

The only draw backs are very cold weather that might freeze water in the tank, which is equally bad for other tank control types. The only other problem with electrodes is when the water supply introduces oil that traps on the tank water surface in a tank. Oil can come from an oil lubricated well and sometimes from tank coatings; both of these oil sources are rapidly becomming extinct.

BTW, the Healy-Ruff Company is still alive and well. Except for their old 940 Roto-Trol float controller most of their current control systems are electronic and electro-mechanical, but they might be able to suggest a way to modernize your current controls. St. Paul, MN, 651-633-7522.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back