Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump house layout 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSU95

Civil/Environmental
Dec 13, 2002
US
I have recently been assigned the project of completing the laying out a well house pump station which was started by an engineer who is longer with my firm. He left good notes, but was the only individual in the office who knew anything about pump stations.
The well house is to be located above one of the 3 wells (the center one I assume is the best choice). 2 of the wells are 10" and the other is a 5" production well. There will be a 5000 gal storage tank inside the well house (I assume). I know how to size the pumps, but I am not sure how to configure the pumps in the building. Also, what other items are necessary in this type of building (dehumidifier, ventilation, backup generator, heater - the project is in MI, lighting)? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MSU, In terms of equipment layout, Operations and Maintenance functions need to be taken into consideration, such that, there is room to get around equipment and swisng tools. Secondly, the arrangements need to be setup so that piping runs, conduit runs, and other utility supply runs are minimized and allow for O/M to go about its day to day business without interference or headasches (no pun intended) or the location of valve handles and switches that require individuals to become monkeys to actuate them, due to poor design and layout. Also, you will need to take into account all of the necessary equipment so that O/M can do its job, things like over head cranes to pull heavy equipment when needed (it's amazing how these things get forgotten until the pump goes down and needs to be pulled along with the well string), proper light levels at work areas, proper ventilation to remove toxic or noxius fumes, heating or air conditioning as necessary (you don't ever want to have to work in an Arctic suit or your skivvies because some one forgot environmental work requirements or were to cheap).

There is quite a lot to think about and many were mentioned by saxon. O/M will like it by making things easy to work on. Accessibility! Add to that; elevated pads for the pumps, vibration isolation pipe joints, and isolation valves for each pump so one pump can be taken out while the other one continues to run. Insulate and heat the building. Add in a panel/controler heater. Run heat tape on the above ground pipe sections so if your building heater goes out, the pipes won't burst. Cost in to have the pump supplier do a design review and onsite startup check (warranty may require this). The pump controler operation is a science in itself and has to be completely coordinated with the electrical work. Talk with a pipe fitter for lots of other great advice.

I would contact the original designer to get a feel for the methodology to be employed. The second thing I would do is have a meeting with the operator of the system (if possible) to determine what philosophies they operate under. Believe me every situation is unique, and if there is not enough thought, or too tight a working space or missing componenets, that will not bode well with your company's reputation. I have seen it countless times. As a general rule, ensure the piping is protected from freezing, de-humidifiers are expensive and should not be substituted for good ventilation and exhaust systems, never congest a space with too many apertenances (buiding space is cheap as opposed to a frustrated client). Ensure all fittings, motors, panels and chemical feeds are easily accessed for future removal (do not place a pipe so close to a wall that there is no room to work a wrench to maintain it). Try to provide for a seperate room for chemicals, and labworks (tests). Most important, remeber that major servicing or upgrades will occur at least ten years in the future, therefor ensure that pumps can easily be removed (doors, lift systems) and perhaps dedicate space for future expansion. I've had to demolish pumphouse roofs and in one case abandon existing pumphouses for no other reason than the inability to remove pumps. They were too big to fit through a door and/or too obstructed to get at them with proper lifting devices. Backup emergency power is a bonus, albiet expensive too. If you need more advice or ideas on possible layouts that have been highly successful for me, I would be happy to discuss further. KRS Services

For freese protection use a pitless unit; allows easy access to the pump & well for service and keeps water lines from freezing.

You're probably aware of OSHA and NEC requirements, but if this is you're first pump station you may want to review them. Working clearances are important as noted in the previous responses, as well as the ability to take something apart and put it back together. Isolation valves so units may be taken out of service and flexible couplings so that they may be put back together. Most pump suppliers will help you with layout, the only other issue that comes into play (assuming its a potable water system) is NSF requirements for all equipment and piping in contact with potable water. Remember more room is better than less room, and you need a minimum of 36" clear in front of any electrical panel. Dont forget flow meters, pressure gauges and other such pump operating indicators, alhough most of these will be involved in your control system.

making pump house lay out is not big problem. engineering man can easily do it. first of all we have to select the pump and motor. then we have to take size from the manufactures. Then we have to selcect the correct range of electrical panels and the sizes too.
Then you have to see no of pumps, motors and you have to provide space for suction side sluice valve and delivery side non return valve and motorised sluice or butterfly valve.
After geting all the size any body can do pump layout

By
Balakrishnan.K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back