Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pump Power Factor Correction Capacitor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechconst

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2002
US
What is the purpose of having to install a Power Factor Correction Capacitor locally at a pump? I have never seen one before. Pump is 7.5 HP / 460 volt/3 phase/60 / 10.1 FLA. This pump is within a typical plant feed from the Motor Control Center.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Improve voltage on starting may be one reason. A capciotr on a single 7.5 HP motor does seem a little odd, unless the cable run is a long ways or the plant voltage is low at the MCC.

PF correction at the source of the low PF is the best way to go, if it is possible/practical. That way, it switches on and off with the low PF load, and is being used only when it is needed (along with reducing current, and therefore I^2R losses, in the cables and distribution equipment supplying it).

Be sure to account for the capacitors when specifying / setting motor protection. They reduce the current seen by the protective device while the stator current stays the same.

Hey! swn1

That's something most people would forget about. Good that you brought it up.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Thanks for all the responses. I found some information in the electric motor spec indicating it's required in order to raise the motor power factor to approx. 95%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back