Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

msprain10

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2014
US
Hey Guys,

I have been a long time lurker, however I finally have the need to start a thread. I have used Eng-tips a lot throughout college and I have just recently graduated college with a degree in ME. I have been working at my first "big boy job" for over four months now. I was recently asked to research some pumps and their applications that we use them in. I was asked if there are any other positive displacement pumps that would be able to match the performance of our current pumps. I do not have any real applicable or working knowledge when it comes to pumps. After some research, it seems that the pumps we use are really the only ones capable of that performance...

Our current pumps:
IMO Three Screw Pumps

These pumps handle a 220/320 viscosity grade oil in a lube oil system. The oil is at lowest temp or ambient temp around 60 degrees due to tank pre-heater and a high temp of 135. I know we would be more worried about when the oil is at the low point when dealing with viscosity issues. The pumps need to be able to put out flows of 400 GPM while at 1500 PSI in spiked conditions.

Please feel free to blast me with any questions on details you feel I left out.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the problem with the existing pumps that would cause you to want to change them? We have comparable services that use this style of pump with good reliability.

Johnny Pellin

Johnny,

There is not a problem with the current pumps. The reason why we are looking into other options is our current pumps take to long to obtain. It is purely a logistical problem. Therefore if I could find a pump with similar performance, I would have more options to consider when ordering.

Thanks for acknowledging my problem!

1gibson,

I wish it was as easy as ordering spares. The line of business is quick turn around retrofit engineering. Therefore we never know when the next project could come in or how frequently we will have this type of project. As I'm sure you all know, nobody likes inventory.

IMO has made some older models obsolete. We had a few of these in lube oil service. Initially, the parts were expensive and had a long lead time. Then, they stopped making them altogether. We had to retrofit to newer, current models. Is this the problem?

For this flow and pressure, I am not aware of any good alternative PD pumps.

Johnny Pellin

Johnny,

Thank you for your thoughts. I too believe that I am going to end up sticking with a 3-screw pump. Our main problem is the long lead time to obtain the IMO pumps. I can continue using a triple screw pump as long as I can get acquire them in a quick manner. I was looking into different pump manufacturers. Does anyone have any other manufacturers suggestions?

You know that there are firms which stock and refurbish older pieces of equipment and the route that I would follow is to research them out and develop a catalog of their equipment. For example, at one of our heavy steel fabrication plant,we had a few older power presses (early 1900 vintage)in storage and this one gent from PA specialized in such equipment, so he bought them out, refurbished them and sold them to customers in South America. So look around.

mls1,

Thank you for the suggestion. However after perusing SKF's website, I could not find a pump that they manufacture to meet my requirements. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back