Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Room Ventilation Scheme 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech5

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2007
US
Hello.
I'm working on providing general ventilation to a pump room. The pumps and motors are below and do not impart any heat to the space. The ventilation I'm providing is just general ventilation. I'm looking to provide 5 ACH per rules of thumb for pump rooms. I'm going to use an intake louver/damper and wall mounted fan.
My question is how should I control the equipment? Should I provide a thermostat and have it kick on when the temperature raises above a certain threshold? What about when the temp drops below freezing? Should I provide a damper on the louver and have it close and shut off the fan when the temp drops below freezing?
What has been typically been done in the past? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to provide more information about the pump room and the use of the pump. Placement of the pump room (underground, ground level, upper floor location?) ; location (northern or southern hemisphere, equatorial region, desert or swamp area, altitude of location); pump useage. More information, the responses will be better to answer your question

What's the occupancy?

If you've got people there then you will need heating and ventilation.

Sounds to me like a control room of some sort?

Then run it on temperature or a timer or both.
If you get people on an irregular basis add a CO2 monitor to kick in when it gets a bit "stuffy" or add a manual override on timer.

Will the space fill with fumes, smells or gas if you shut it down?

so figure out why you're using forced ventilation and then control it accordingly.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for the responses.
The building will be un-manned.
It will be located in Texas.
No fumes will fill the space.
Once again, pumps will not impart heat to the space.

Thanks!

Therefore, it's not a pump room.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

"...Once again, pumps will not impart heat to the space." pumps may not but motors will. "...What about when the temp drops below freezing?" In Texas I know about temps will often be over 100dF but freezing temperatures????",

Yes motor will contribute heat to the room. How much horsepower are you talking about here? You could need substantially more than 5 ACH in the summer just to keep the temperature to an acceptable level using only using only ambient air. Need more information on the motors and room dims.

Hi

This is my understanding

the pump and the motor will be placed in underground during normal operation pump not running (please confirm?)
you already applied general ventilation with 5ACH using louver and fan
you could refer to ashrae handbook for recommended pump room ACH (maybe in the HVAC application book chapter power generation there are table that show the temperature and ACH.)

your concern are about temperature (do you have desing temperature for this room?)
could you inform the temperature range in texas?

With current information i would suggest as below
1. if temperature rise you could provide inverter fan with thermostat to increase heat rejection. thus the room will cool faster
2. if temperature drop below freezing you could provide heater in the motor to protect it (if motor stop). But if motor running i think this is no problem

sorry for my english. hope will help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back