Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Sizing for Heating Hot Water System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieo

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2005
US
Hello All,

I am designing a heating system that uses hot water piped to heating coils located through out the building. I have determined the heating loss for each area and sized the heating coils. I have laid the system out and sized the piping based on an acceptable friction loss for the required flow (using the system syzer wheel). When sizing the pump do I take the sum of the friction loss in all loops (supply and return piping, loss through coils, valves, etc.) or just the loss in the loop that is the longest run of supply and return piping i.e. furthest from the pump. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, misunderstood, you've got BRANCHES!

If you take the total pump flow through the longest branch, its likely to be conservative, provided that all the pipes in the shorter runs have at least the same diameter and all coils are the same.

It may also be too conservative.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

I assume that you have a circuit setter (automatic flow limiting valve) on every coil:

Assume all zones are in service and calculate the friction loss through every pipe segment. Look at the total flow resistance for every coil circuit (total resistance is found by the sum of friction loss through all of the pipe segments and equipment that flows to/from that coil and includes the coil hydraulic loss.) Coil and associated piping with the greatest hydraulic loss will determine the required head from the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back