Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PUMP SUCTION STRAINER ORIENTATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba7114

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2006
NG
I am currently designing a chemical transfer pump piping, the equipment location completed by others,the pump is end suction top discharge diaphram pump, when I modelled the strainer,bleed valve assembly I discovered taht it penetrates the grating, my question here is it possible to orientate the strainer valve assembly so that it incline at 45 degree vertically down, this gives enough clerance for the strainer withdrawal. the suction line is 2".
Best regards
Abba7114

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many of the pumping systems I have come across have the strainer inclined at the orientation you talk about - a Y-type strainer. Does having it in this orientation still allow for the filter basket removal by the maintenance staff?

There is normally no problem with the orientation that you propose.
The main rub (objection) would come from the client and be based on personal preferences.
When you think about it a little the fines collected by the strainer do not care what the strainer orientation is. they will still be caught in the basket.
If you were the maintenance guy would you like to stand on your head to remove the basket for a 2" strainer? From a maintenance standpoint 45degree or even full horizontal would be preferred.
From a construction stand point, no matter what orientation you show the installer may put it in at a different position.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back