Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pumping Crude From a LACT Unitto a Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwood3

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2010
US
So there is a crude oil storage/stock tank. It feeds oil through a LACT Unit via the LACT Unit charge pump. A backpressure valve at the LACT Unit discharge holds approximately 35 psig backpressure on the LACT Unit. The crude discharge from the LACT Unit goes to a "PD" pump where it is then "injected" into a high-pressure oil pipeline at approximately 850 psig. I know there are literally 1000's of such oil lease installations like this all across West Texas. What type of pump setup are these guys using? (Just for grins, let's assume 350 gpm from the tank to the LACT charge pump.)

Thanks all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've avoided saying something here because I don't want to design a LACT for someone, especially with 350gpm and 850psig as the only statements. The discharge pressure seems high for lateral lines, or you have some impressive elevation changes. If it's a long distance pipeline you are going into then I would suggest using your LACT charge pump to push to a tank, then pulling from the tank through a pipeline pump.

at 850psig pipeline pressure I am sure people are using everything from horizontal surface pumps to gear pumps. A PD pump is typically the preference, depending on pipeline pressure fluctuation for laterals. Progressing cavity pumps offer a PD design that limits pulsation, but I have not used one at pressures higher than 740psig. They also consume a lot of space. So long as your pipeline pump matches well with the system curve, you have many options. Where most of the problems arise is that the system curve is variable so people go with a PD capable of overcoming the range of discharge pressures. What is best and what is used are commonly two different things on these cash registers.

There are multiple companies that design successful LACT units. What works in West Texas, does not necessarily work everywhere else.

I was orignally just trying to generalize, to my fault. I have a LACT Unit....FMC. The discharge of the LACT goes directly to a pipeline injection pump, toget the oil into the pipeline. he LACT Unit is Class 150 equipment, operating at relatively low pressures, say between 40-60 psig at the LACT discharge. The "normal" operating pressure of the pipeline is around 750 psig. S let's just say the pipeline pump has to handle a 700 psi differential pressure. Sure, a reciprocatingplunger/piston pump can do it. Yes, a twin screw or progressive cavity pump can also do it. Out in West Texas, Eagle Ford, etc., there are vendors that cater to these situations, hence reducing long lead times for equipment. I just wasn't sure who they are or what was the norm...because I can assure you, out there, it's often times "down an dirty", "get 'er done".

Thanks anyway.

your lead times are generally 10-16 weeks right? how quick do you want them? I understand the quick and dirty up to the point where the LACT doesn't prove. So doing it right makes more money in the end. You likely know that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back