Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pumping in freezing conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2007
US

Can anyyone share tips on installation of pumps outside in freezing conditions. We are looking at using vertical turbine pumps to be installed outside, pumping the water from the tank intermittently. I am worried about possible freezing water in the column or around the seal that would prevent pumps from operating.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first thing that you need to be aware of is that it is important to clear the pump of fluid when not in use.
Standing water, in frozen condition, in the pump can increase in volume by up to 9%, so that would be a problem.
Keep an eye on the water temperature, as that is vital to the smooth running of pumps in colder climates.

If some media other than water is to be flown in pipe then take care because different media have different consistencies and therefore different freezing points.

Pumping Equipment

What is the source of the water and how cold does it get for how long?

I'm in WV, so we see some extended below freezing temperatures. Maybe not as cold as some areas, but we'll get close to 0*F every winter at some point. I've seen VT's installed outside on non-potable plant water systems which pull treated effluent from a manhole in the effluent piping. I've also seen vertical propeller pumps mounted outside pulling from aeration basins dischargeing into an open recycle channel. Both of these are in wastewater plants so the water stays above freezing temps.

When I was in NC, I saw some vertical inline pumps installed outside with no freezing protection, even though the temps would dip into the 20's at night - cold enough to bust the pipes in my garage with the heat off.

Look at your liquid temp, maybe provide a vacuum relif valve to allow the system to drain when not in use, and definately talk with your pump manufacturers to get their approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back