Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pumping Station Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechprocess

Mechanical
Jun 23, 2004
US
Re: Pump Intake Design ANSI/HI 9.8
Subject: Minimum Submergence requirement to prevent surface vortex

I have a vertical suction pipe with a bell on the end of it located in a dished tank containing suspended solids slurry. I want to eliminate the need for a vortex breaker at the suction location so that I don't have any obstructions in my tank which may adversely impact the off bottom suspension of the particulate solids during mixing.

The formula from the above referenced code defines the minimum submergence (S) to prevent surface vortexing is given by S/D = 1 + 2.3F where F is the Froude Number also given F = v/(gD)^0.5 where g = 32.2, D is the diameter of the suction bell and v is the free stream velocity around the suction bell and F is dimensionless.

I was hoping that if I made my suction bell diameter large enough, then I could reduce my minimum submergence. Then I notice that when solving for S, there was a point of diminishing returns going on. The minimum submergence actually started increasing in proportion to D. Maybe I have a spread sheet error but I can't find it.

Although the Froude number decreases with the free stream velocity which corresponds to the larger suction bell diameter, when multiplied by D, the submergence requirement increases in that S = D(1+2.3F). What gives?

Then I read in the code that this correlation is only applicable for free stream velocities greater than 2 fps.

Well la-ti-da.

Has anyone else used this formula for free stream velocities less than 2 fps? All I'm trying to do is prove that a vortex won't occur if we slow the pump down enough to get most of the heel out without adding some contraption down around the bottom of the tank.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that the S/D formula was taken from the book "Swirling Flow Problems at Intakes" (J. Knauss) may be you can get more information from there, however I am not sure that this formula can be used for slurries.
I would ask for help to submersible slurry pump manufacturers like ITT Flygt, Toyo or Tsurumi.

Surface vortexing is only one problem, you also need to consider vortices being formed from side walls as well as from the bottom of the tank - - pre-rotation from the pump can also result in vortices being formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back