Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pumping water +sand from river 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How long is a piece of string.

A lot more detail regarding the physical site conditions, quantity of material required, type of material to be pumped together with an idea of its composition, distances and height differences involved, prefered motive power to drive the pump unit etc etc etc.

milena02,

The US Coast Guard has responsibility for maintianing the shipping channels of Mississipi and Missouri rivers. They use barge mounted dredges to remove sand bars left by the changing currents of the rivers. A Google search of pump + dredge brought up site for

The typical dredge has a boom with rotating cutter to loosen the bottom material, and air injected into the center of boom hollow shaft to lift the fluid column. The air lift has adequate head for moving sand and material into towed barge or to nearby shore. A secondary pump is likely needed for more distant or higher stockpile of sand. The GIW slurry pumps mentioned by wimple are good stout units. Another would be Galigher-ASH pump. There are other pumps - depends on size needed.

There are a number of manufacturers who can supply pumps for handling "sand" and variable methods to apply the equipment however, the OP asked for the best method and without more detail from the OP the best method is unknown -further it seems he / she has vanished anyway.

not sure on the exact application of the pump if it is semi-solid then a mono pump may be a solulion, or a centrifugal sump pump designed for such a system

Picking up on ApC2Kp (there's a handle that's hard to pick up!)'s post.

Airlifts are great provided the water's deep enough for the entrained air to expand a bit as the air/water/sand column rises up the tube. They really come into their own in the 10m to 20m depth range.

If the water is shallower than five or six metres, you'll get more efficiency from a jet lift - a device which uses a high speed jet of clean water to entrain and move a much larger volume of sandy water (very much like a salvage eductor).

Google searches to try:

Jet Lift Dredge (Lots of very shallow, low volume stuff for amateur gold diggers)

Archaeology Water Dredge (Larger scale stuff - mostly applications that move silt from one part of the seabed to another).

A.

We purchased a Toyo sump sump for handling the drain water from wet gas scrubber's spent recovered FCCU catalyst. They had a very intriguing video showing some of the applications of their pumps. In one case they were dropping the pump to crack through a crust so they could suck the fluid (hate to use that term, it was more like a thick sludge) out of a pit. My mechanical engineer and the client's rotating engineer were pretty impressed when they reviewed and decided to go with these pumps.

They were originally developed in Japan for mining sand from the ocean floor. I don't remember the exact %sand they were designed to handle but it was a significant amount of sand rather than water with 'some' sand in it.

Toyo is an excellent pump unit for use in many applications involving slurries etc - but like all applications it needs to be carefully engineered to ensure results.

Google GPM Eliminator Pumps. They are very good at slurry or hard scale applications. Repairs and repair parts are very reasonable since the pumps are made in the US. Not sure where you are located, but the Toyo pumps are made in Japan, with parts having to go through Vancouver Canada before getting to the US. Sometimes the inbound freight charges/tarifs/customs can be a real pain. The Warranty replacement program on the GPM is very very good. Just be sure that the pump is engineered properly for your application.

it is my original post

What is the best method to pump Sand + water to extract sand from a river.?

Just to quarry sand to be used at construction.

What quantity, what depth of water, floating pontoon, suspended from a crane jib, fixed mounting on the bank, electric motor or engine driven, all same size material, well graded, containing large solids, pumping distances etc etc.

We have some pretty smart guys with a lot of experience in these forums, but we don't have crystal balls.

Hi all , please apologize me , I just want a general scope about the topic.
With all the help, I got from you, now I have a clear view to follow up to end my project.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back