Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Purchasing Earthwork Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvancamp

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2007
US
I work for a cost-estimating firm and we are looking into purchasing software to estimate "cuts and fills" for construction sites. We want something that is easy to use, fast and also accurate. Some of the programs we're looking at are AgTek Earthwork 3D, Quest Earthwork, Tally Systems Earthworks, Carlson Roads/Survey/Site Manager 2007.

Anybody have any reccomendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Agtek Earthwork 3D. Very good system so far. The best part about Agtek is that you can easily import CAD files and be able to snap to the points instead of manually digitizing. Haven't really run into too many problems that couldn't be fixed. Customer support is really good too.

We use Agtek 3d, and love it. as mentioned above the importing of cad files is sweet.another function worth noting is the autopad feature.

We also use the Agtek Program, SitePlan 3D (the economy version Siteworks 3D), which works well for us. I think its interface is the easiest to use (but I'm a AutoCad novice). The disadvantages are 1) the price 2)Agtek products can import info from AutoCad in DWG/DXF form, but aren't that compatible. This would a problem if you do other input or estimates using AutoCad or AutoCad plug-ins. But the quantities are accurate.

Most architect/engineer types prefer an AutoCad plug-ins like the Carlson Program, but I don't have any working experience with it. I do think its cheaper if you already have AutoCad.

As for Talley, unless they really upped their program from a couple of years ago, it was very low end product (in fact if I had to use it, I would probably break out my old planometer and do calcs using the contour method).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back