Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Purpose & function of joist bridging

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWTEng

Structural
Nov 2, 2011
US
What is the function of joist bridging pre & post erection? The reason I am asking is that on one of the jobs the contractor want to place a duct between 2 existing joists and wants to get rid of all the bridging. In my mind since the joists have bridging on one side, this should not be a problem but I am not sure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The purpose is not only lateral supportr for the bottom flange, but more so to help the floor system distribute point loads to more than one joist.

If the contractor removes the bridging in one bay, then the joists next to the unbraced bay can only get help from one other joist at the most, rather than a maximum of three. Point being that the floor system will be weaker next to the bay where the bridging is removed.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

What we usually require is to allow the ducts, but then add X-bridging on the two opposite sides of the joists.
I'm assuming that the existing bridging are horizontal and not X.

With steel joists it is OK.

My comments were focused more toward wood joists which are closer together than steel joists. With steel joists ususlly spaced from 5 to 8 feet apart, it is mainly the lateral support of the bottom flange that is of concern here, which the horizontal members under the ducts will satisfy. I would still do what JAE suggested on either side though.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I have no problems removing one line of bridging. I think it is over-rated - not really sure it helps that much unless you are spanning say over 12' I would rather see walls above prependicular over the joists -- now that does help.

Do you have any uplift? If the bottom chord goes into compression, the bridging will brace it.

If this is new construction, I would have the joist supplier answer the question

The artical "New Horizons in Open Web Steel Joists and Joist Girders
Longer Spans, Less Bridging and Better End Anchorage" has some good basic information on steel joists. This is the link to it
Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

@slickdeals: The source of the information on the bridging being designed to work in tension only is a Vulcraft engineer who I consulted with when I had a similar issue in one of my buildings. If they designed it to work in tension or compression, they would end up with a larger bridging member, and since the bridging is typically continuous through the framing bay, compression capacity is typically not needed.

It can only be "tension only" if it is anchored at both ends.
I've been out of this for a while, but doesn't OSHA require erection bridging of the joists as they go in? Would that not require tension and compression capability.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

slick: They are about 50 year old joists, SJ types. I am not quite sure about bridging, I am asking the contractor to send a picture. But if memory serves me, they have a line of X-brdg down the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back