Pursuing second Bachelors Degree in MET?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arokisbobcat

Industrial
Oct 27, 2009
US
Hi -
I have a question here for the board. Ten years ago I received my Bachelors degree in Industrial Manufacturing and Systems Engineering. Due to economic conditions at the time, I took a job as an analyst and before too long, realized that my career veered down the business path.

I am currently still working as an analyst and have a well paying job, however, it's not where I want to be. By nature, I'm a very active person and would ultimately enjoy a job (any job!) that doesn't require me staring at a computer the entire day. In order to make some changes in my career I have enrolled in a college to pursue a second bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I actually chose this over the ME program because I wanted to use my hands, to learn to weld, machine and do things I felt would be beneficial for my personal satisfaction.

Here is my question. To complete the program I would probably be looking at 2-3 years of night classes but a part of me says that perhaps I should just take some of the core classes (such as engineering drawing and some MET specific courses) to get my knowledge base up and then market myself as an IE w/ some MET courses under my belt. By doing so, I'll save myself the additional cost of schooling and might be able to jump back into the engineering work force more rapidly. Please provide thoughts if I should approach my education this way or follow through with a secondary bachelors degree. I should also note that I will be attending part time and paying as I go so I won't be taking out a massive loan but learning gradually while holding down my analyst job.

Also, I wanted to ask the board what positions in ME/MET would allow for some type of physical activity? I did a co-op as an IE years ago on a factory floor and absolutely loved the nature of this job when I compare it to my cubicle environment now. A part of me is very interested in Field Service work but I fear that I could find myself being a technician only and not really expanding my knowledge base.

I greatly appreciate all suggestions, thoughts, input, feedback in helping me with my decision...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by MET?
Mechanical engineering technology is not the same as mechanical engineering.

Technologists are usually the slaves of engineers [pipe]. Not always though...

[peace]
Fe

I would seriously look at building your resume to sell the engineering experience that you already have. I had a 5 year gap between finishing school and getting another engineering job. I created a functional resume that highlighted my previous engineering skill and listed my employment experience and education at the bottom. This got me interviews and eventually an engineering job. No matter if you go back to school or not you will still have to sell yourself, better to start now before you drop a lot of time and money.

FeX32,

I have a undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I work as an engineer, and am more skilled at my work than many Mechanical Engineers whom I work with.

I would be careful about judging someone based on their undergrad degree rather than current skill set.

(I also have a MSME and a PE license in two states, so I can hold my own on education as well.)

Cedar Bluff Engineering

Haha. Funny.
I understand that where I live an MET is different than the states. And I don't question your abilities.
I just had some bad experiences with METs over here....
Mechengdude,
I agree with you. But this is clearly not the case here.... I have 3 engineering degrees to bout as well...

Jeeze you guys are sensitive eh.
Have a cold one [cheers]

[peace]
Fe

Thanks everybody for their feedback.

I wanted to ask whether or not I would be limiting myself by only getting the BSMET as opposed to the BSME degree. The institution I will be attending has a well known BSMET program that is ABET accredited. They just began an engineering program which includes ME but haven't received ABET accreditation yet.

I've read many posts about how the BSME would be the superior degree because of the math but the BSMET program includes all the same math an ME degree would require. Plus, I am hoping that my prior IE degree and the math I have already completed would show prospective employers that I do have a strong mathematical background from my previous engineering curriculum.

My goal is to ideally obtain a position that involves some field work (ie. engineer in nuclear, shipbuilding, or oil & gas, field service engineer) and not so much spending all day behind a desk.

In your opinion, should I pursue the BSMET or BSME degree and which would leverage me better for my goals.

Thanks in advance and I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback thus far.

Employers rarely want to see your class list (unless it's an elective that's appropriate and specific to the position you're applying for)... it's assumed you have the proper math by getting the degree, so saying one degree is equivalent to the other because the math courses are the same is turning a blind eye to reality. There are definite differences between a straight degree and the technology version, and the classes you take show that difference. Look beyond the math... anyone can punch a formula into the computer, so it's not a useful differentiator.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

In my experience, the math of technology and engineering programs is different, i.e., different course numbers, books, and content. I couldn't take the technology math and have it apply towards my engineering degree. The technologists I've worked with never had DE, linear algebra, partial DE, etc.

My former employers will hire technology graduates and call them engineers but they will never move up. The engineering degree carries more weight.

If you want to work with your hands for the rest of your life, the technology degree would work. If you don't want to limit yourself, it won't work. If you think you want to move into management in 10 - 20 years, you'll be limited in some industries such as nuclear, O&G, chemicals, etc. That's what I've seen in my working experiences.

“A part of me is very interested in Field Service work but I fear that I could find myself being a technician only and not really expanding my knowledge base.”

You almost sound like you want to get into Civil Engineering than Mechanical Engineering. CE tends to be more around new or remodeling sites than in the office from what I’ve learned ( (see Civil)). However, in ME, you can focus on HVAC systems and still be in the construction field or even be in the field to install and trouble shoot cooling or heating systems. Or, you can focus on Thermal Dynamics if you want to work around power plants. If you don’t want to be tagged as a technician, don’t go into MET. You might as well go all the way with ME (or CE if that is your interest).

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

Bear in mind, a lot of these 'fun, hands on' jobs will be field jobs.

They may well involve non standard hours, lots of travel...

So, by going down that path you're not just reducing the chance of 'sat at a desk all day at a PC' you're also reducing the chance of a "9-5" regular schedule.

This may suite someone that's young and care free, it can be more challenging if you decide to settle down, have kids etc. Don't get me wrong, some folks make it work, but others seem to struggle.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back